Traditions Trapper

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

Traditions Trapper

Post by Niner » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:01 am

We were talking on the last Skype chat about BP guns. At one juncture we were talking about loading and, one thing suggesting another, brought up the topic of single shot pistols that load like the rifle. All you need is powder, patch and round ball. They shoot really outstanding too. They aren't real particular about powder either, for the most part.

Having nothing better to do while it was pouring rain I decided to take a few snaps of my Traditions "Frontier" .50. It came as a kit gun. The only real work was finishing the wood and the aplication of bluing to the barrel.

All of the parts are ergonomic. No difficulty taking it apart or reassembly. You do have to make sure the spring that holds down the loading rod is turned the right way and that the screw goes through loop to make the hindge. The barrel just hooks in and the pin through the stock locks it in place. You can adjust the set trigger with a small screw between the triggers on the trigger guard side.

Mine seems to shoot pretty well with about 30 grains of FFFg, however it shoots FFg with no problem. The only thing is with FFg the muzzle velocity drops off and a little heavier load would be better.
Attachments
trapper.jpg
otherside.jpg
three.jpg
spring.jpg
hook.jpg
wedge.jpg
rib.jpg
settrigger.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Traditions Trapper

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:29 am

Was that before or after I was in on the chat?

Looks like a fun piece. I wondered about buying a kit but the difference in price is so small it didn't seem worth the effort. I might revisit that now I am a member of the new club that has good pistol facilities.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.