Saints or Colts?

This forum is a Moderator choice forum for moving posts that exibit particularly outstanding contributions of information about firearms. Only posts that move past the main page make it here for a second look by choice of the moderators.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta, Niner, joseyclosey, Miller Tyme, PeterN2, dhtaxi, Aughnanure, blackisler

Who do you think should win?

Saints.
75%
Colts.
25%

Total votes: 4
oldironsights
Sustaining Member

Re: Saints or Colts?

Post by oldironsights » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:15 am

Karl/Pa. wrote:
Aughnanure wrote:I read the heading and thought "I know what a Colt is but what the hell is a 'Saint' . . .now I know that it's not another pistol :roll: :oops: :lol: :lol:
The Colts are named after a young horse. The Saints are named for the New Orleans Jazz tune "When the Saints go Marching In."

In 1966, Louisiana congressman Hale Boggs was to head a group investigating the NFL for anti-trust violations.
Then NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle met with Congressman Hale Boggs & promised New Orleans a NFL expansion franchise provided the anti-trust investigation is stopped & a suitable stadium be built within ten years time.
The anti-trust investigation was stopped & New Orleans was awarded a NFL franchise on 01Nov1966, which is All Saints Day for the Catholic religion.
New Orleans & Louisiana have largely been a Catholic stronghold throughout its history. ( Louisiana is still divided into parishes, not counties, as is the other 49 states.)
The Saints began play in September 1967 using Tulane University's football stadium until the Superdome was completed in 1975.
The team was originally owned by Texas oilman John Mecom jr, but was sold to present owner , banker & new car dealership owner Tom Benson in 1985.
It was Tom Benson who got the Saints heading in a winning direction for the first time, & the team posted a 12-3 record in in 1987, the first winning season in franchise history.

Geaux Saints! :bigsmile:
If You Can Read This, Thank A Teacher!
If You Can Read This In English, Thank A Veteran!

Help save this retired fighting ship from the scrapyard;
http://www.ussorleck.org
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:49 pm

31 to 17. Great game. Who Dat won :rebel:
Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Post by Karl/Pa. » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:41 pm

Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:23 am

09:21 in France, have they finished yet Robert :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:25 am

Football games last 60 minutes plus timeouts and halftime. It's not like Cricket that goes on for days. :bigsmile: Actually took something over three hours with all the timeouts, halftime show and official commercial announcement timeouts.

It was a big deal that the Saints were there and won for anybody living in my part of the Gulf Coast, not just Lousiana and New Orleans.
Attachments
Dat.jpg
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:14 pm

My supervisor at work always watches the Superbowl every year and has the next day off as holiday because he has stayed up most of the night to watch it. He was off work today, as usual.
Regards
Peter.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:01 am

Niner wrote:"....Football games last 60 minutes plus timeouts and halftime. It's not like Cricket that goes on for days. :bigsmile: .....
CHOKE, COUGH, SPLUTTER....

At least with cricket they are playing for most of the time (excepting the lunch and tea intervals). :razz:

[RANT]I still can't understand why it should take three and a half hours to play for 60 minutes (and as for changing teams every few minutes mumble drone moan mumble ad nausium... :) ) [/RANT]
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Post by Karl/Pa. » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:22 am

It's a Yank thing.
Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:23 am

106.5 million people watched it on tv. The most people ever to watch a tv show in the US. What's the most people to ever watch a Cricket match?
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:43 am

I'm going to guess about 3517, of which 3500 were dozing. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.