BSA 'Sportsman Five' .22

Probably the most popular caliber firearm in most of the world. Many of us have more than one. They also are very collectible and still cheap to shoot.
(The military trainer posts have been added here from a previous forum.)

Moderator: blackisler

Aughnanure

BSA 'Sportsman Five' .22

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:39 am

One of my favorite rifles in.22 is my BSA 'Sportsman Five' , it'sa full size rifle and is a great 'bunny buster'.
I just put a new scope on it, a Bushnell 'Sportsman' (appropriate :lol: ), a 3 to 9 power variable.

Took it out this afternoon to sight it in.

The rifle with its new scope:
DSC03117.JPG
Looking down on it
The group circled in black is 2" diam.and the red one is 1.5", the three shots cutting were fired during a lull in the wind. Firing platform was the roof of the car with an old pullover to stop any scratching.
The group circled in black is 2" diam.and the red one is 1.5", the three shots cutting were fired during a lull in the wind. Firing platform was the roof of the car with an old pullover to stop any scratching.
Attachments
DSC03118.JPG
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Aughnanure

Re: BSA 'Sportsman Five' .22

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:43 am

'Looking Down on It' got a bit out of place.

Considering the wind and the cold and standing/leaning on the car to shoot, I'm quite happy with it so far, those last five shots all represent dead rabbits :D

Eoin.
blackisler
Moderator Sponsor 1911,12,13,14,15,16

Post by blackisler » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Yes the BSA sportsman is a very good rifle . Mine is a sportsman 15 bolt action and is very accurate.
Robert :SCO:
live life for today as tomorrow may never come
ILUVFULLLENGTHSTOCKS

Post by ILUVFULLLENGTHSTOCKS » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:48 am

OMG how did you get that scope mount I brought one of these ans my first rifle to find out you can't mount a scope =/ please please tell me!
Kick A Tiger In The Arse, Better Have A Plan for The Teeth.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 am

ILUVFULLLENGTHSTOCKS wrote:OMG how did you get that scope mount I brought one of these ans my first rifle to find out you can't mount a scope =/ please please tell me!
It was tricky and it really needs some photos to explain properly.
So tomorrow I'll get it out and take a couple of close ups.

Eoin.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:45 am

Decided to do it now, might forget tomorrow ;)

Close up of the front mount, excuse the rust, that comes off tomorrow.

Rear mount.

The dovetail sections were bits of a ruined .22 body and were bored out to fit on machined surfaces on the BSA; the front bit butts on a shoulder as does the rear one.
Both are larger in outside diametre than the body so they had to be inlet into the stock.
Don't quite suit the Bushnell scope but everything is rigid.

To get the bolt out the rear mount base has to be taken off, so I leave the bolt in and it becomes a 'captive bolt', which upsets some ROs :lol:

Bye the way, welcome to the forum.

Eoin.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:48 pm

"To get the bolt out the rear mount base has to be taken off, so I leave the bolt in and it becomes a 'captive bolt', which upsets some ROs"

Must be very different rules, I have never had to remove any bolt at the range. :shock:

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:45 am

Different rules on different ranges here.
Some ranges require that if the bolt can be removed it must be but if the firearm is a falling block, Martini, lever/slide action or break open then the action is opened, which makes it rather silly to require bolts that can be removed to be removed, apparently simply because they can be. Other ranges only require that all actions be opened on leaving the firing line.

Allows das klein fuhrers to come out of the woodwork :roll:

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:29 am

At the range I go to they have a range officer now days since the place is crowded so often. All the RO does is order "all actions open, put the rifle down and step back away from the firing line". There is a yellow line to mark how far away one must back from the firing line. Seems to work just fine. At my old range where nobody was in charge it was a different matter and the "rules" all depended on the dumbest or most selfish shooter that happened to show up on a given day.

But speaking of 22's with a scope. I have one... got it in 1998. It was at one time probably the most popular semi auto 22 in the US and made by Ruger.Maybe it still is a best seller....it certainly has a lot of after market stuff for it still advertised. Can't remember the last time I fired it but it has been several years. I just find it a pain in the butt to take down and clean and cuss some getting back together again. Probably need to follow directions or something. The scope is rather cheap and unsatisfactory too... as I remember.

Looks like it needs some dusting off. :bigsmile:
Attachments
DSC01446.jpg
DSC01447.jpg
ILUVFULLLENGTHSTOCKS

Post by ILUVFULLLENGTHSTOCKS » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:08 am

Hey Mate,

Cheers for that i will see what I can do too get the scope on it.I really love the long barrel on it and don't really wanna have to flick it.
Kick A Tiger In The Arse, Better Have A Plan for The Teeth.