Adler reproduction Remington 1863

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

Adler reproduction Remington 1863

Post by Dave 101 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:51 am

This is a reproduction of the Remington 1863 percussion rifle made by Adler of Italy in .58 calibre smoothbore .
It is very good condition and doesn't look as though its had a lot of use , certainly the last owner said he hadn't used it much .

I may even get a bayonet for it , the previous owner found a repro on the net for me , having looked for an original I haven't found one yet so the repro seems a good way to go .

Dave
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Adler reproduction Remington 1863

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:22 am

Looks good Dave, I am sure you are going to have some fun with that..... :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:27 pm

Dave, I guess you know you need a few things besides powder, ball, musket caps and patches. You need a powder measure that shows the volume on the side with a funnel. You need a musket size nipple wrench. You need a ball starter to get the patched ball seated into the muzzle and started down about six inches....particularly so if you get any guns with lands and grooves. It would also be good to have a loading rod that's longer than the one that comes with the gun. It's easier to seat the ball with a long loading rod. I have one that is fiberglass and one that I made myself. You can see them in the collection I have hanging on the wall. You can use tape on the rod to mark when the rod reaches the end of the barrel without a load. Gives you an idea of how close to seated a load is.....and lets you know if the gun is unloaded too.
Attachments
one.jpg
DSC01403.jpg
Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

Post by Dave 101 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Nice display there Niner , yes been keeping an eye out for all the extras will have to wait till after xmas now before the funds allow any more spending . Luckily enough I had a length of dowel and fitted a wooden file handle on it for a makeshift loading rod , also going to get one of those screw devices for extracting the ball from the barrel just in case something doesn't go right .
Theres always plenty of goodies to be tempted by .

Thanks Dave
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:56 pm

If you want to be traditional you can get one of these. In the military the Sergeant of each squad would have one such tool. It was the original all purpose tool I guess you would say.
Attachments
DSC01404.jpg
DSC01405.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:43 pm

If you can afford to buy one Dave get a Pedersoli C02 Fast Bullet Puller

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=5243

I bought one this year and have needed it once. It is amazing - works a treat :razz: :razz:
Attachments
1364Z.jpg
1364Z.jpg (29.06 KiB) Viewed 7139 times
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.