The MAH BP comp.

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

Re: The MAH BP comp.

Post by Niner » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:56 pm

Vern, there are some around where I live that like Tomato Gravy and biscuits... no white gravy. The only time I remember eating white gravy with sausage chunks was during my time in the Army. It was basically white, about half lard, gravy with little chunks of ground mystery meat in it poured over a flat biscuit about the texture of a chunk of dry wall. You remember what we called it , don't you? S. O. S. And that stood for ........well you remember.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:32 pm

I always thought that biscuits and gravy was a Southern tradition, and that's where it came
from. Well live and learn........

Yup, the SOS goes back to WWII when the guys on ships got chipped beef in the
white gravy on toast and they called it SOS. I do remember the stuff you are talking about,
and I did like it. Of course the Army food depended on which base you were at, Aberdeen Proving
Grounds, MD was the best, then Schofield Barracks, HI, then Redstone Arsenal, AL, then
Ft. Lewis, WA, and last was FT. Sill, OK. And naturally even lower than that was RVN.
But those are the only places I can give an opinion of the food............. :cool:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:02 pm

So... we were getting ground up beef in that lard? Well... I don't think I ever made much of an attempt at eating it, whatever it was. I know there was lard in it because I was on KP one day in basic training and saw a cook mixing it up. I wonder if the military has dietitians now days that try to cut down on the early build up of clogged arteries? :loco: