Assault Weapon.............

Probably the most popular caliber firearm in most of the world. Many of us have more than one. They also are very collectible and still cheap to shoot.
(The military trainer posts have been added here from a previous forum.)

Moderator: blackisler

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Assault Weapon.............

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:51 pm

Went to local gun show today, almost zero milsurps, was kind of surprised.
Anyway.....I bought what many gun banners want to call an "Assault Weapon", only because
of high magazine capacity...... :roll: :lol:
Bought an old JC Higgins (Sears & Sendback) Semi-auto Model 29 .22 rifle.
Appears to be pretty nice condition and mechanics seem to work well. Came with a era correct Weaver
model B4 4X 3/4" scope on a Weaver tip-off mount. Everything appears original. The scope looks far back
in the photos, the rear lens was barely screwed on, was in process of cleaning the inside.
Did a little digging and found these were made by High Standard, who made most of Sears .22s
back then. The model 29 was made from mid-1954 until early 1959, no serial numbers on most
.22s back then, so model number is all you have to go on.
Typical gun show find, the inside was very dirty but cleaned up with no problems. And was very
surprised at how many rounds this thing holds in the tube......18. And if I leave one in the chamber,
that's 19 in a row. Could probably stuff about 30 Short rounds in there........ :lol:
But the barrel is stamped "Chambered for .22 L.R. only." And come to think if it, I haven't seen any
.22 Short rounds for years, but then I haven't been looking.
I paid too much for it, $190, but I liked it, so..............whatever.
Bought some Federal .22 LRN ammo, it was selling for $5 a box, so I bought 6.
Remember when we were kids and buying a box for a buck or maybe less, and my Dad was paying
about .28 for gas........... :D
Attachments
221.JPG
223.JPG
224.JPG
225.JPG
226.JPG
227.JPG
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Assault Weapon.............

Post by Niner » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:54 pm

I bought one like it at a gun show in 2005. Mine didn't come with a scope. Really fun little rifle. I like the way the stock under the barrel has that wedge shape with the bottom almost flat. Makes for a good grip.

It's a little tricky to take down ... but I found a owners manual you can down load online.

Here's a link to the manual.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREAR ... ins_29.pdf
Attachments
DSC04064.jpg
DSC04066.jpg
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:40 pm

Heading for the range tomorrow.

Your bolt handle/knob looks bigger than mine, does it have a plastic cover on it??
Is your rifle a Model 29 583.79 ??

Took the trigger group and bolt out to clean, but have not taken trigger group apart yet,
wanted to shoot it once before I took it apart and couldn't put it back together........ :mrgreen:
Guess mine was made before 1957, can't find a date code on it.

Did you notice at the bottom of the manual is an ad for other rifles, the Model 50 has a
"genuine Mauser action made in Belgium by F. N.". Wonder where they got them?? :cool:

Found a few other things too.

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/sear ... index.html

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufactur ... -38858.htm
Attachments
dates.jpg

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:18 pm

I think we are talking about product off of the same assembly line.
Attachments
DSC04075.jpg
DSC04072.jpg
DSC04071.jpg
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:47 pm

The bolt handle is same, my old eyes easily tricked. Anyway..............

Made it to range yesterday, had forgotten how much fun it is to pop out 18 in a row and not have to
worry about the old neck bones. All my other rifles are 5 round bolt action, although I did recently buy
a 10 round clip for my Chuckster .22 Magnum, haven't tried it yet.
Even though I took the Weaver scope apart and cleaned as much as I could get to, it is still cloudy and
hard to pinpoint target bulls eye. Although you can see from the targets, the big red center helped.
Obviously the "Force" was not with me on the target without a red center........ :roll:
Did find out that it doesn't like the flat nose hollow point ammo, had a box of Winchester, 333 rounds, of
the flat nose and shot it plus another 100 round nose. The flat would hang up at least 1 or 2 times per 18 in the
tube, and for some reason, the last round would sometimes end up vertical on the face of the bolt. Some
of the flyers are because sometimes I was seeing how fast I could shoot, my story and I'm sticking to it... :cool:
A poster on another site said his rifle didn't like the flat nose either, I agree.
The round nose fed with almost no problems, so no more hollow point....... :D
I shot several more targets and they all looked similar. The round 2" center is what I used to try to zero
in the scope.
Am going to put one of my newer scopes on it, so maybe I can actually see the target.
Took my M38 to try the new sight post, but never shot it........will try that next time.
Attachments
291.jpg
292.jpg
293.jpg
294.jpg

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:52 pm

Looks like it shoots pretty good. No question about that....or is it ...You shoot pretty good. No question about that. :bigsmile:
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:01 pm

Most people can shoot pretty good using a .22 at 50 yards with a scope........ :cool: , but should do better
with a good scope.

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:55 am

Who's a happy little Vern then :roll: :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:29 pm

Oo...Oo...I am..I am.. :D

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:03 am

Having trouble with the scope mount dovetail rails. Bought a 3/8" to Weaver rail adaptor and it fit
great, clamped down tight, but makes the scope too high with Weaver rings on top of adaptors.
So bought a set of rings, 3/8" x 1" tube for scope, the clamps are too big for the rail.
The scope came with a set of rings that are "standard" size for a .22 rail, they are also too big.
So why does one 3/8" set of rings fit and the next set doesn't??
One set says it "Fits Standard .22/Airgun Base", is that different than 3/8" dovetail??
Is there more than one size of rails on a .22??

Why is my head starting to hurt??