Enfield paper cartridge

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

joseyclosey

Enfield paper cartridge

Post by joseyclosey » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:03 pm

Been thinking about getting a Parker Hale Enfield P53 and this morning I tried my hand at making a paper cartidge for the same.
After a demonstration from our club chairman it was my turn and I managed to turn out something which looks reasonably loadable/shootable. The bullet end just needs dipping in beeswax but this is the finished article, mine being the slightly untidy example at the forefront of both pics. The bullet used is a Lee version of the smooth Pritchett bullet and the Minie is just there for comparison and interest.
Interesting morning though I didn't get to shoot the finished round yet. I have a shoot next week when I will hopefully be able to borrow a rifle to try it.

Joe
Attachments
enfield paper cart 008.JPG
enfield paper cart 007.JPG
enfield paper cart 004.JPG
enfield paper cart 002.JPG
enfield paper cart 003.JPG
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Enfield paper cartridge

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:50 pm

You are on the slippery slope to BP heaven Joe - be careful :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Dutch Mosin
Leading Member

Post by Dutch Mosin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:55 pm

That sounds fantastic Joe.
Since buying my Hawken Woodsman I turned into a great fan of BP shooting.
Keep us posted and post some pictures of your shoot next week.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin :NET:
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:43 am

This will no doubt interest you Joe :D :D

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/ ... -templates
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:56 am

Good way to be historically correct. Soldiers had the paper cartridge to carry around with them. 40 rounds in the cartridge box. I looked it up. As I remember the lecture, the soldier pulled the cartridge from his cartridge box, ripped open the paper butt end using his teeth...thus... a requirement for soldiering to have a few front teeth.. poured the powder down the barrel and then stuffed the paper and the mini bullet on the other end of the paper down the barrel, tapped it down with his ram rod, replaced the rod then capped the weapon. Worked alright in practice no doubt. But at the range, it's a lot easier, and simpler, to use a powder measure and pour 50 grains of BP down the barrel and then take a minie ball, little grease in the outside grooves preferred, and then seat it on the powder with a loading rod. No paper confetti with the otherwise pointless paper and probably a more stable bullet to powder fix. No extra work in constructing paper cartridges either.

Another thing about the paper is that just any paper won't do. I think the original paper was treated with nitrates for sure fire purposes, weren't they?

And yes... I know.... you want to do it "right" and historic. So proceed with my admiration...but that's as far as I'm going.