What came in the mail today

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

What came in the mail today

Post by Niner » Tue May 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Got this envelope with something in it. It came from France. No note. Just a handful of small packets of something called Marmite. Then I looked on the back of the envelope they came in and there was Duncan's address. Then I remembered this stuff was mentioned on a chat.

What it is... I think... is a sauce made with something left over from the brewery business. It's brown, sticky about like honey. and you are supposed to put it on toast like jam or jelly. It was .. so I read... invented during WWI because the British were hard up for something to take the place of food and instead came up with this stuff as the best they could do.

I had to taste it of course. Well... it's very salty. It has a taste sort of like the burnt fat on the bottom of an unlined oven pan after you've baked a ham smells. And since I never tasted the burnt fat on the bottom of an oven pan I can't say for sure how similar the taste is. Marmite is an acquired taste for sure. One packet was enough. I don't think I'll be needing the rest.
Attachments
Marmite.jpg
opened.jpg
joseyclosey

Re: What came in the mail today

Post by joseyclosey » Tue May 17, 2016 3:11 pm

I'd never put it on toast, but in a cup of boiling water, with a brisk stir, is a good warmer on a cold range day. It's a bit like oxo but not as nice IMHO.
Interestingly enough we can now get bags of marmite crisp (chips to you 'mericans) and they actually taste alright.

Joe
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Tue May 17, 2016 3:21 pm

I eat it on toast yummy stuff.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue May 17, 2016 3:32 pm

Me, I just LOVE IT but i promised Robert some to try. I didn't warn him it was on it's way either!!

It is great spread on toast with Heinz Baked Beanz on top and some grated cheese to finish off............ :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:41 am

Just arrived with friends from the UK - along with some proper bacon, sausages, pork pies, custard and mint humbugs - YEA!

Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:46 pm

Why the "chocolate jar"? You don't put that stuff on vanilla ice cream like Hershey's chocolate syrup do you? Ugh.. what a horrible thought that is. :D
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:57 pm

Nope! It's just a load of chocolate that tastes slightly of Marmite - smashing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:22 am

I looked it up...
Marmite flavoured chocolate is here! This might be the most polarising treat ever conceived, as every bite of the silky smooth chocolate is imbued with the powerful taste of Marmite. The hollow chocolate shell is even shaped like a jar of the dark spreadable stuff.
I can imagine making a chocolate Easter Bunny out of it and ruining some kids Easter. :loco:
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:36 am

You cannot POSSIBLY think that we Marmite aficionados would waste this sort of gem on CHILDREN :shock: :GBR:
Duncan

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:07 pm

This reminds me of that Australian "delicacy"........ Vegemite............ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.