Lebel wood needed.

Questions and tips about taking care of the weapons we collect and shoot.

Moderator: Aughnanure

deadin
Site Sponsor 2016

Lebel wood needed.

Post by deadin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:17 am

I find myself in need of the front wood for a Lebel M1886 M93. It doesn't have to be pretty, just all there. I don't desperately need any of the metal, but the front and middle bands could be of interest.
Lebel parts here in the U.S. are almost non-existent and I am wondering if they are available in the UK or France. The big question would be "How Much?" and what would the shipping costs be?

As a last resort even just the front portion (from the middle band forward) might give me a chance at a splice. (Would the front portion of a Berthier stock be the same?)
I did see a website that manufactures replica wood. I believe it was somewhere in France, but I haven't had the nerve to ask about prices. Besides I don't need something I'm going to have to scar up to match the rest of the rifle........

Dean
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Lebel wood needed.

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:51 am

Dean, this is probably the best place to look http://www.naturabuy.fr/adsearch.php?title=fusil+lebel you only have to be a member to bid and if you see something of interest contact my PDQ and I will see what I can do for you.
Use my email address which I have sent you as a pm.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:55 am

Oh, you can usually translate the pages of the site into English if you use Chrome.
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
deadin
Site Sponsor 2016

Post by deadin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:37 pm

Duncan,
Thanks for the website and the offer to help!
I don't see any front wood on it at the present time, but will keep checking back.
Looking at the prices I see France has the same bunch of "entrepreneurs" that we have here in the States. :mad: Bands are being offered from 20 Euros to 98 Euros. (For the same thing!). There was a stripped buttstock for only 198 Euros. (That's half again what I paid for the whole rifle. :roll:)

Dean
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:42 pm

Aint life a bitch :loco: :loco:
Duncan

deadin
Site Sponsor 2016

Post by deadin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:05 pm

UPDATE:

I just dug the Lebel out of the closet (It's too long to fit in the safe). Actually all I really need is about the top 8 or 9 inches of the front stock. Somebody decided to "bubba" it into a sporter and sawed off 8 inches of the stock, set the front band and band keeper back to the new front end, sawed off the stacking rod and ground the swivel from the middle band. (And removed the butt swivel) I'm sure that saved a whole 6-8 oz. or so of weight..... Sheesh!!!

I have a friend who is quite a woodworker and he may be able to fabricate something for me......
deadin
Site Sponsor 2016

Post by deadin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:57 am

Well, I'm still searching for Lebel front wood. There is one currently on Natura Buy at 195 Euro plus 40 Euro shipping. The front of this wood looks like a beaver has been gnawing on it.....
I finally got up the nerve to check the cost of the reproduction that is available. I was quoted $200 US delivered. (180 USD + 20 USD shipping) The stock looks good in the pictures (It is unfinished at this price. No oil or stain.)
One other problem is that the magazine channel isn't fully bored out, but this would just be a minor irritation.
I'm sure that there would be other small adjustments needed. (Like trying to "age" it enough to somewhat match the rest of the gun....)
Anyway, anybody had any experience with fox-military.com? I believe they are out of Poland. I'd hate to send a couple of hundred dollars off into the void without some idea of what to expect.
(PM me if you aren't comfortable with a negative recommendation..)

Thanks,
Dean
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:48 am

Looks a good site. I did a check and this is the resuly

https://www.scamvoid.com/check/fox-military.com/
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:32 pm

I put in "gun stock reproduction" in google and came up with a lot of possible places to have one made. This one for instance. https://www.macongunstocks.com/home-1.html Since you have most of the original stock someone should be able to make you a reproduction for less than $200 right here in the USA. One of those in the google list was throwing out a price of $60 for a forestock.
deadin
Site Sponsor 2016

Post by deadin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Niner,

Thanks for the hints. I will follow up on these but I'm not holding my breath as the M1886 forestock is pretty complicated and the part I am missing is one of the major complications.....