JUST BOUGHT A REPLICA BAKER RIFLE....

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: JUST BOUGHT A REPLICA BAKER RIFLE....

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:42 am

They say it is now in transit "I am only sorry that it has taken so long to get it back to you - thank you for your patience." Well, we shall see about that :evil:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:58 pm

When someone says, "Thank you for your patience", or "Thank you for waiting.", my usual reply
is, "Oh, I didn't know I had a choice." This get a variety of reactions from them.......... :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:24 am

Hope you get a good result Duncan, however......
Joe ;)
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:16 pm

Well, it's not here YET!
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:21 am

It arrived today. I have been in Bordeaux all day so haven't had time to open it.........................
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:02 am

And so.... what did they send you????? :loco:
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:00 pm

The replacement finally arrived on Friday - 11 months after it was offered........It is marginally better than the first but not finished properly - the barrel having been rust browned and not finished at all so was covered in loose rust.
The hammer will not go all the way back to full cock without a struggle and the powder channel to the touch hole is only half the size of the original.

I think that the photographs speak for themselves.

Duncan

ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:45 pm

Condolences.

:cry:

-ArchFluffy

P.S. The rest of you should have attended the skype chat. The saga of the Baker is ongoing!
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:25 pm

I just sent them this.........................

The Baker arrived on Friday and I opened the parcel on Saturday as we did not get home until late in the evening from Bordeaux.
My observations, in no particular order are;
It looks much better than the original on first sight. The Nails that hold the lock in place are in one piece and the ramrod does not intrude into the lock cavity. The colour of the barrel and stock are nearer to the original that I requested.
The finish of the inserts which accept the lock, barrel breech plug and the inside of the patch box are awful. They look as though they were shaped with a chain saw.
The barrel is heavily covered with rust powder. It was the right colour but had not been finished properly - smoothed and sealed.
The Proof Mark has been so badly erased that it is not possible to see it; this makes the Proof Notification that you sent with the Baker useless. It is a legal requirement within Europe that all new weapons must be supplied with a Proof Certificate and the barrel stamping be legible. I am considering contacting the Derbyshire Police Firearms Department because I believe you may be in contravention of your RFD licence.
The lock will not easily move to Full Cock, probably because of the poor finish in the wood of the insert. I hope to be able to fix this myself.
The general metal to wood fit is very poor, even Ardesa can do better which is saying something.........
The overall quality of the arm is appalling for the price and having waited for the replacement to arrive for more than 9 months I can honestly say that your customer service and quality control is the worst that I have ever experienced and I earned my living by looking after my customers so I know when I am being lied to - and boy have I been lied to by you - you have not supplied me with any progress reports or photographs as you promised. Any information has been supplied by you after repeated questions from me and in most cases has been a pale reflection of the truth….............
Everyone in my circle of collectors and shooters who has seen the detailed photographs that I have taken is at a loss to understand how anyone could have the bare faced effrontery to class this piece as an
"affordable historically correct weaponry, from the 14th century to the 19th century"
That is from your website and so is this.............
"On average the lead time on our popular range is 8 - 12 weeks, this is the turnaround time from you ordering with us and the order/consignment arriving from our manufacturers in India. Our popular Muskets, Carbines and Pistols are manufactured by Master Craftsmen on our behalf to our specifications and exacting standards.
They arrive 'in the white' and we strip them back to their individual components and rebuild them in or workshop. Each stock is oiled and waxed to ensure they enjoy a long life and are waterproof "

I am still dissatisfied with the whole piece and as you are not prepared to refund my purchase price as I have asked on various occasions I shall make sure that anyone who asks me about your company learns the truth about the poor quality of your service and of your Indian manufactured products.
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:10 pm

Well... at least you can now see an end to this long standing pain in the butt problem. It could have ended in a worse way. At least they sent you something after a long time and a lot of prodding.