Tool for tinkering with old cameras.. and some other things

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Tool for tinkering with old cameras.. and some other things

Post by Niner » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:29 pm

I got the standard Lens Spanner Wrench Repair Tool with the parallel points on one end and equally parallel straight edges on the other. I had seen what looked to be the same tool for sale with ends that bent inward toward each other and couldn't see why a defective tool was being offered. Then I had this battery cap with the point openings too close together for the parallel points on my owned tool. Then the dawning moment came. For $12.95 delivered off of Ebay I got the new brighter idea bent ones to go along with the straight ones. Same company too......Neewer owns the patent apparently.

The battery cap is still stuck on solid. Have to spray it down with more bolt loosener.
Attachments
not curved.jpg
curved.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Tool for tinkering with old cameras.. and some other things

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:50 am

A short, sharp tap with a lump hammer should do it Robert!! :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:34 am

Duncan, I think I sprayed the darn cap too many times with the blaster bolt loosener. Now I notice residue on the inside of the camera ...including the shutter curtains. Oh well......$10 camera.

I've tried tapping it with various objects. I've tried filing an old screwdriver tip to the width and curve of the slot...and the once as issued coin slot is now buggered. With the new problem of the oily insides it's time to mark this one up to experience of what not to do. :oops:
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:52 pm

In my career repairing machinery, I too have..."Fixed it 'till it didn't work at all."....... :cool:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:30 am

You sure it wasn't made in Ireland, it might be a left hand thread :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:47 am

You mean "lefty loosey, Righty Tighty" doesn't work in Ireland? Now you tell me.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:42 pm

I still have a set similar to these left over from my working days, internal and external
c-ring pliers. Although may not be delicate enough for cameras, but I bet they would get your cap loose...... :D

9-4.jpg

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 pm

That's pretty neat. Had a discussion on a camera repair page. They made fun of my Chinese tools. Bet they wouldn't make fun of those tools...if the points would go into the tool holes on a camera.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:11 pm

They are to expand or compress c-rings into a groove on a shaft, internally or externally.
If you have ever tried to install a ring without them, you know they are the right tool
for the job..... :mrgreen:

9-5.jpg

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:41 am

The ones pictured are Chinese and if you want them better buy quickly before Trump put a 1000% tariff on them :roll: :roll:
Duncan