Warnant Action Garden Gun

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Warnant Action Garden Gun

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:50 am

Acquired last week..............
FLO #1 web.jpg
FLO #1 web.jpg (425.92 KiB) Viewed 148 times
FLO #2 web.jpg
FLO #2 web.jpg (329.36 KiB) Viewed 148 times

Calibre 9 mm Flobert. Small chamber will only take these conicals.
1693580047880.jpg
1693580047880.jpg (208.19 KiB) Viewed 148 times
Proof marks are German. Here are some details about the Designer.

L & J Warnant Brothers, Hognee, Belgium.

The Warnant brothers were, towards half of last century, the arms manufacturers who worked for the account of third people and who produced sporting weapons.
Jean Warnant then started to work on projects of revolvers and improved a locking with double action which was largely adopted by other manufacturers of weapons. From 1870 to 1890, Warnant produced a quantity of revolvers with screwed carcass, largely based on the system of construction of Smith & Wesson contemporaries.
To the beginning of the century, Warnant were dedicated to the automatic guns with many patents and models, but without obtaining much success. Their first attempt to give up the revolver goes up indeed at 1890, date on which they patented (British patent 2543/1890) a gun with repetition “Warnant-Creon” with a breech-block screwed of Martini type and a tubular charger, but probably this weapon was never produced. The first automatic model of gun appeared with British patent 9379/1905 concerning a screwed gun which became in fact the Pieper gun, this last having bought the patent.
Warnant gauges 6.35 mm was marked "L & J Warnant Bte 6,35 mm", while the handles presented the monogram "L & J Warnant". This gun made its appearance about approximately 1908; few specimens were built less than 2000, before the model does not undergo other changes. Lastly, about 1912, the Warnant brothers produced a gun of 7,65mm It was a completely different model based on the Browning 1903. This model was marked "L & J Warnant Brevetés Pist Auto 7,65 mm". Once again, Warnant did not have a chance; before this gun, which should have been a good commercial success, can be affirmed, the war burst and the production ceased.

It's a very nice little gun - smooth bored - Paid 70€ / $76 for it :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Warnant Action Garden Gun

Post by Niner » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:05 pm

Nice. I've noticed your mention of garden guns before. I don't think I've ever seen them in the US. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. Never saw them in a gun store or gun show.