Pentax MV

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Pentax MV

Post by Niner » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:59 pm

The Pentax MV came out in 1979 along with the ME Super which was decidedly more up scale. The MV was a small no frills aperture priority camera. Green light if OK exposure. Red light for need more light one way or the other. Yellow light to say exposure possible but hand held and still sharp will be a problem. Came with Pentax's 50 mm F2. What more could you want if you just want to take some photos without concerning yourself with a lot of possibilities as options?
I got a $6 pig in a poke MV that looked great on the outside. Reason it was a mystery pig was that the battery cap had been abused to the point that no coin or screw driver was going to open it. The obvious thing was to get out the narrow grinding wheel and the Dremel.
Now here is where I learned something. Old cap came off without much a problem after surgery. What I learned is that although Pentax circle battery lids all seem to screw in alike, and are really probably made out of the same kind of metal, they all don't work the same. After loading new batteries and using a substitute Pentax cover nothing happened. One thing was that the MV bottom cap was for the negative face of the bottom battery and the one I had chosen at random would have been for a camera that was the reverse. Nothing happened. Then I got out a similar battery box cap version... the Super Program. The ME Super would probably be just as good. Bingo. Right version of battery cap. Everything working.
Took it out for a run along with a longer lens. Everything worked. Only problem was in developing my timer went out during the developing stage when my back was to it and I had film that was decidedly over cooked a bit as I erred on the long side by choice.

During my film developing near disaster I decided to take a look at the film before the wash cycle. Took a quick look and seemed to need a little more cooking.....but maybe that was a mistake. In any any case finished the developing. Many shots came out kinda-sorta alright. Then there were a few that looked like some ghostly stuff was happening. I'll post those along with a few "normal" ones.
Attachments
DSC00532.jpg
img621.jpg
img599.jpg
img593.jpg
img598.jpg
img624.jpg
img609.jpg
img600.jpg
img594.jpg
DSC00537.jpg
DSC00536.jpg