1898 Krag-Jorgensen trap door.

This is the forum to discuss your classic US military rifles from the beginning of the age of smokeless powder through WWII.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

1898 Krag-Jorgensen trap door.

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

The family of my daughter-in-law has a Springfield Armory 1898 Krag made in 1902. It is a family heirloom and the metal is in
very good shape, the wood is a little rough but not awful. Since I am always looking for a project, I offered to clean it
up as it hasn't received any attention for ... like forever. ... :roll: ... It is all original, never messed with.
After watching many videos on how to take it apart, I got it broken down, what a mess. It took a long time to get out what
almost seems like the original cosmoline ... :lol: .... Some of it had to be almost chipped out it was so hard. Once I got it cleaned,
it is in excellent working condition, the bolt is the smoothest action I have ever seen and the bore has no real wear.
I would not be afraid to shoot this thing anytime. They had 15 rounds of really old commercial ammo that I would be afraid to
try, so I bought a 20 round box of new Hornaday .30-40 ammo for it, $67 .... holy crap. Not sure if it will ever get shot, but it
is there if my son ever tries it out. Even though it cycles so smooth, I can see why the soldiers at the time were not impressed by
how slow it is to load one round at a time into the magazine when the Spanish were using Mausers with stripper clips.
Many of these were converted to hunting rifles, luckily this one is all original. Wish it were mine, maybe I'll forget to give it back. ... :mrgreen:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: 1898 Krag-Jorgensen trap door.

Post by Niner » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 pm

That is interesting. I've seen them on display behind a class wall before...recently actually... however, never handled one with my own two hands. Ammo seems a bit over the top. I've got some really old ammo given to me by a friend in 303 that, after cleaning up a bit, I tried to fire. But didn't go bang with any attempt. Guy at the range got to figure out what the proper thing to do with the rounds I had as I handed them to him to dispose of.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:46 am

Nice one Vern.
As you know, I am first and foremost an Enfield man but when I exchanged a Webley revolver for a Danish Krag I was very surprised at just how smooth it is.
I will be taking it to the UK in June along with a M-H Mk.IV, Snider Mk.II and a Lee Speed No.4 in .303 to a Victorian Riflemen Historic Shoot with 100 rounds for each.
Attachments
K-J#2.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:46 am

Duncan if you take that arsenal and hundred rounds each to England, from France, what's the chance the British version of homeland security won't put you in that prison where they got Julian Assange for jumping bail? In the US if you took that assortment to California they would probably put you in jail and toss the key. Now if you went from Alabama to Kentucky.. they'd just say "come in and visit a spell friend. Glad you are visiting and brought your own guns and ammo with you. Although we would have loaned you some but nothing like bringing your own".
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:59 am

It's all about jumping through the right hoops in the right order Robert!

Most important piece of paperwork is the Invitation to Participate............. :D
With a Visitors Passport from the UK I can legally take them into the UK for that set amount of time.

Obviously travelling with them is different for me because I am ttravelling between 2 Countries not States and having to use a ferry to do it. That means passing through 2 lots of Customs - Twice!

If it was inside the EU then I have a European Shooting Passport which allows me to take those guns registered on it anywhere within the EU.
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:11 pm

Duncan .... I'm guessing there is a big price and time difference between the ferry and the chunnel?

I see some difference between the Krags, a different cocking pull shape and magazine handle. Does yours have the lever
on the left side to change between single shot and magazine fed rounds? I think that is an interesting addition.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:00 am

The Tunnel takes about 20 minutes and a ferry at best 1½ hours but with the tunnel you drive on and stay in your car, much better way to travel! Cost is about 100€ more but that is a'moveable ticket'

Yes, my Krag has the single selective lever on the left. The ammo feed is different. The cover hinges at the front and pulls right round, not down as on yours.
KBXE6891web.jpg
I had a hell of a time trying to work out how to remove the bolt but finally managed it after searching YouTube!

Although my Krag is 8 x 58 RD Danish I can't get Boxer cases for it and the old ones I do have are Berdan primers. I use 8 x 56R Manlicher cases instead by PPU and they work just fine. :D
Duncan