Traditional New Years foods in the US

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Traditional New Years foods in the US

Post by Niner » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:22 pm

In the US black eyed peas and cabbage are considered staple side dishes on New Years...at least in the South.. and served for good luck. Pork in one form or the other is also the most likely meat dish. Today we had black eyed peas seasoned with pork sausage and cabbage also seasoned with a little pork sausage. The meat was BBQ baby back pork ribs.

So I saw this about black eyed peas on facebook about why this is a tradition and then I went looking to see if there was any other information to back that up. Seems it's basically southern thing and comes from the Civil War.
Why Are Black Eyed Peas Good Luck?
The practice of eating black-eyed peas for luck is generally believed to date back to the Civil War. Originally they were used as food for livestock and later as a food staple for enslaved people in the South. Because of their lowly reputation, the Union Army troops of General Sherman ignored the fields of black-eyed peas while razing or stealing other crops. During the harsh winter, the Confederate soldiers survived on the remaining black-eyed peas, promoting this humble and nourishing legume into a symbol of fortune and prosperity in the American South.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/your-blac ... ed-1640029
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Traditional New Years foods in the US

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:50 pm

Having always lived in the western states, I have never heard about traditional black eyed pea meals for
New Year. Actually, I don't know of any traditional New Year meals out west...... :D

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.