FT. Morgan from the history books and again in 1991

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

FT. Morgan from the history books and again in 1991

Post by Niner » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:33 pm

Ft. Morgan is one of two masonry forts that were created to guard the mouth of Mobile Bay. During the Civil War Admiral Farragut had to pass the forts to get into the bay. Morgan was larger and closer to the channel and got most of the action. Morgan held out for three weeks after the Union ships were safely in the bay and the Yankees began a ground assault.

There are existing photos of the Fort right after the battle. They reside someplace in Washington DC. However a number of them were published over the years. A few were in an epic multi book series done of many samples of Civil war photos in 1911 called The Photographic History of the Civil War. There is also the National Historical Societies effort under Bell I. Wiley with a few slightly different photos a few decades later. The best collection of Morgan historic photos were published by Caldwell Delaney in his book Confederate Mobile and includes all the ones published before plus a few that were never published before.

Back in 1991 I took a notion to scan some of the photos from the collections mentioned and go on a photo adventure. I printed the scans and took my film camera at the time, a Pentax SLR, the exact one I can't remember, and took the hour road trip from my home to see if I could line up some NOW shots of the same book photos. I recently shared them with a Civil War page on facebook that is concerned with the Civil War in this area where I live. In some photos the later additions, around WWI, of concrete disappearing heavy gun batteries shorten the view. On the other hand, the octagon brick building in the center of the fort, which had been heavily damaged was torn down shortly after the hostilities ended in the Civil War. I could only aim across the now parade ground in the direction of where that structure was. Here are the photos I shared.
Attachments
ta1.jpg
Ta.2.jpg
images one.jpg
Morgan 2.jpg
Morgan 3.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: FT. Morgan from the history books and again in 1991

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:28 pm

Very interesting, I find Civil War photos fascinating. Good job recreating them.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:36 am

Thanks for those photos, very interesting.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:54 pm

Here are a few more that I didn't take the later day photos to match.
Attachments
3 morgan-001.jpg
3 Morgan 2.jpg