New guy...

Members please check here for useful information about site features. New members introduce yourself here as your first post if you like.

Moderator: Niner

jim303

New guy...

Post by jim303 » Sat May 02, 2009 3:50 pm

Greetings,

Jim here, former Canadian army type, I have broken service as I left to pursue the 'shining kit' the RCMP had! That lasted 8 years and I ended back in the army. Now living in the US, met a beautiful young girl from Alaska while I was posted to Fort Lewis WA. For some reason she believed my lies, and here we are! I just got her a Savage Lee Enfield Lend Lease No4 Mklll as one of her birthday presents! Sad.. I know. But she loves it. Interested in Lee Enfields, M1, M-14s, FN's, Mausers, pretty much anything service rifle.
Cheers!
Oh! And does anyone know much about importation of weapons from Canada to the US? Most of my gear is still up there.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: New guy...

Post by Niner » Sat May 02, 2009 4:04 pm

Welcome to the site, Jim. Hope you come back often and find something interesting here from time to time and add your input to the mix of posts.

Don't know anything about importing weapons from Canada to the US. Maybe someone with experience will come along and offer some words of wisdom.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sat May 02, 2009 5:17 pm

A hearty welcome, Jim :CAN: from :AUS:
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sat May 02, 2009 6:50 pm

Hello Jim glad to have you on board.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon May 04, 2009 7:29 am

You are most welcome Jim. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
jim303

Post by jim303 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks All for the warm welcome!

Aughnanure, good to see some Commonwealth ties! ;)

I had the pleasure of working with ANZAC units a number of times, still have all the slouch hats and Aussie cam from all the trading!

Cheers! Jim
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Mon May 04, 2009 4:54 pm

Welcome as well Jim.
Got to have us Colonial types to balance the homeland riffraff. :)
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
DoubleD
Contributing Member

Post by DoubleD » Mon May 04, 2009 4:59 pm

If you have lawfully immigrated to the U.S. There is a procedure for importating your guns into the U.S. This usually has to be done with int a reasonable time after you immigrate. The Customs portion of the deadline was 10 years , 20 years under special circumstances.

You need to write a letter to:

Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, WV 25405

Askt them to provide you with the procedures for permanent importation of personal firearms by an immigrant alien.

Do not call ATF and ask for instructions, do not ask Customs officers at the border for instructions, get the information only in writing from the ATF import branch. There is to much chance that the instruction given in phone calls and personal contacts will only be partially correct.

I say this from the position of experience as a importer and as a retired Customs Officer.

You will find the Import's branch quite helpful.