Breakfast

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Breakfast

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:40 am

The thought of beef sausage for breakfast would bring tears to Jimmy Dean's eyes. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:01 am

An old army buddy of mine from the Commonwealth Division (he was Essex Regement) became a salesman (now long retired) for a well known British engineering firm. He mainly sold pumps of all sizes, and for many years stayed at a particular pub when on his travels. The pub changed hands and on his next visit he was served a 'Continental Breakfast'; this raised his ire and he called the manager and informed him that as an Englishman travelling in England and staying at an English pub he expected an English breakfast. Unperturbed the manager asked him to come into the kitchen, where he was served with a full English breakfast, exactly the same as the manager and kitchen staff were about to eat. :!: :!:
Last edited by Aughnanure on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:15 am

In 1986 when I was the buyer for a company that had it's head office in Wellingborough, Northants, I used to spend 2 days a week there to sort the purchasing out. (I was also the Northern Depot Manager in Leeds.)
I used to stay at a small hotel called The Poplars in a village called Moulton and the food was fantastic. A full English was just that - you were FULL. I couldn't manage it I am ashamed to say so I used to have poached eggs on toast and 2 rashers of bacon for the main course. It was always ordered by the owner in a loud voice to the kitchen......"Adam and Eve on a raft for Mr Andrews with 2 rashers'

The people who ran it became friends and are now retired. They come down to stay in our Gîte. Nice when that sort of thing happens. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Leading Member

Post by 24626151 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:43 am

Beef sausages are pretty recent over here, pork is common but the industrial bangers tend to be filled with yuck and muck rather than quality.
I have made my own snorks for about 10 years now and I use venison with a little pork belly in to help them cook. Mind you venison here is free and the deer are almost vermin!
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!
http://bashingbambi.blogspot.com
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:55 am

I must say that I was shocked to note that the "Full English Breakfast" quoted was missing a vital element...

WHERE WAS THE BLACK PUDDING????

Tom
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:21 am

Tom-May wrote:I must say that I was shocked to note that the "Full English Breakfast" quoted was missing a vital element...

WHERE WAS THE BLACK PUDDING????

Tom
How right you are Tom but I for one don't like it.
Here you get Black and also White pudding. As for sausages, here in France I don't think I have ever seen or eaten a poor one and certainly nothing like the bread filled rubbish that was on offer in the UK . All our sausages here are FULL of meat :bigsmile:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:02 am

24626151, the hunters I know have some of their deer meat processed into sausage too. And, like you said, pork is added to the ground deer meat for flavor and for the fat content. I have no idea what kind of case the sausage goes in. I've been gifted some before and found it tasty.

The local regional favorite is this brand with their multiple choices as to how spiced. Notice they use sheep casing.

http://www.conecuhsausage.com/default.aspx
Attachments
conecuh.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:09 pm

I just read the label Robert - Sodium Nitrate - :shock:
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:27 pm

Well.... when you are eating something cased in a sheep's intestine what's a little sodium nitrate to matter? :loco:

"Sodium nitrate is used as an ingredient in fertilizers, pyrotechnics, as an ingredient in smoke bombs, as a food preservative, and as a solid rocket propellant, as well as in glass and pottery enamels. The compound has been mined extensively for those purposes."
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Having read about some of the things you Euros and Dunders eat, I have a feeling that there really isn't any pudding in Black Pudding. :roll:

Dunders = Persons from Down Under.
Was going to make up a different word, "Sothems" = Southern Hemispherians or Hemispherites, but kept it simple and went with Dunders. :loco:

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.