Last Samurai Mauser

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Last Samurai Mauser

Post by Niner » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:18 am

Got this advertisement from AIM.. Seems they have the M1871/84 Mausers used in making the Tom Cruise movie The Last Samurai. They are "real" rifles, more or less...discounting the stocks and some of the small parts. The advertisement doesn't say if they shoot or not.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... &groupid=6

Reminds me of an advertisement I saw recently for a rifle used in the making of John Waynes production of the Alamo. It was a rolling block rifle converted to look like a caplock.

Look down toward the bottom of this page for the rolling block movie rifle.

http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/Rifl ... ary.html#a rifles Miscellaneous Military Rifles
joseyclosey

Re: Last Samurai Mauser

Post by joseyclosey » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Robert, at that price, and if they are shooters, regardless of authenticity, i would be inclined to have a dabble at one.

Joe
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:47 pm

Plus this on the same page as the 'John Wayne' Remington

What is thought to have been a Savage experiment.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DocAV

Post by DocAV » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:28 am

Mausers used in "The Last Samurai" were M71/87 Mausers from E quador ( forgot the importer) that hyad been "single shotted" to fire like an M71 ( handloading cartridges into breech.)

Blanks were 45/70 Cases, necked to fit a M71 chamber, and the rims turned down slightly to fit the bolt face ( Swanson's Blanks, Arizona).
IN the dark or in the distance, they looked like any other 1870s Single shot BP cartridge rifle.

A good movie substitution for the impossible-to-get original M71s or other Rifles used by Japan before adopting the Murata
(Gras M74, and others); The early scene with the percussion rifles was also correct; the Japanese Imperial Army in the late 1860s used Enfield and Springfield type Muskets, all imported.

When will one of the Gun Replicators (in Italy) start making replicas of the Major European Bolt action BP single shots???They already make the Remington and the Trapdoor Springfield...in Military get up as well as Sporting. Investment casting reduces costs considerably, and still allows the best steel to be used.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics Film Ordnance Services
Brisbane Australia
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:32 am

I am going to Brescia in September, I will ask the question. I currently hope to visit Pietta but Uberti could be added to the list! :cool:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:33 pm

DocAV
Thank you for the kind words regarding the Rifles.
I was impossible to find 400+ 1871 Mausers, so I had to use 71/84's and try to make them look like 71's. People don't understand what goes into putting together the Armory for a movie like that. It's VERY difficult.

Again, thank you for the kind words.

Rock Galotti
Owner
Motion Picture Weapons

Weapons Coordinator
"The Last Samurai"