D & T

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

D & T

Post by Dave 101 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi all

I have run into a problem today , I have an Enfield No. 4 MkI action with a 7.62 barrel in a TR stock . I decided to put a repro scope mount on it so I could put a modern scope on . I have drilled 4 of the 6 holes and tapped them , Iam on the last 2 and have drilled about half way through the thickness of the receiver and hit a layer of steel that wont drill . At first I thought the drill had gone blunt , I have tried 6 different drill bits and sharpened a couple of them , even tried to drill a small pilot hole , its like a layer of armour plate .
Any one have any suggestions how I can proceed with this ?

Dave
Last edited by Dave 101 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Re: D & T

Post by Woftam » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:13 pm

Any one have any suggestions how I can proceed with this ?
Very carefully :lol:

Never drilled any of my Enfields so this is unknown territory for me. But I can't see why the receiver would toughen up the deeper you got. Where exactly are you drilling ? If you're drilling on the over the barrel are you sure you haven't hit the barrel ?
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Local hardspot, not unknown especially on wartime production rifles.
Just where are the holes?
It might be safe to spot anneal, if the metal will anneal and not just get harder.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:59 pm

There are lots of no drill mounts made for Enfields out there as a result of the collector and shooter market. They seem to be of a wide variety of design, price and source. Why drill at all? Of course now....you are already in it up to your waist so I guess you need some solution.
Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

Post by Dave 101 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:09 am

Heres a couple of photos of the receiver , the rifle isnt a collecters item the coversion to single shot TR rifle was done before I bought it years ago .

Its holes 5 and 6 Iam having problems with , these are repro No. 4 T mounts , I have tried an Armalon non gunsmithting mount before but didnt like it hence the reason for doing this .

Dave
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Hmmm. Apart from the annealing suggestion I don't think there are too many options. What about a harder drill bit ?
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:57 pm

What sort of drill are you using this kind of work should be done with at the very least a pillar drill and ideally a milling machine not the sort of thing you should be attempting with a hand drill.
It all needs to be lined up correctly before you drill any thing.
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:57 am

Are not you near the area of the rear locking lug recess which I believe was induction hardened?
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:55 am

Dave.
I have mounted a scope on my No.4 Mk.1, not to turn it into a 'T' but so I can see the target past 50mtrs!
I bought a drill less mount from S&K Scopemounts in the US http://www.scopemounts.com in 2008. The mount ans rings cost $100.30 with international postage.

It works well and does not come loose at all.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.