Last ditch Type 99 Arisaka

Forum for firearms from the Orient.

Moderator: PeterN2

Candyman
Contributing Member

Last ditch Type 99 Arisaka

Post by Candyman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:13 pm

I have had my eye out for a last ditch rifle, but it has never been on the top of my have to get list.
A friend made me an offer a few months back. He had a last ditch T99 and told me he would be willing to tread it for some stock work and some bullets for reloading his .243. He had two Parker Hale rifles in 30-06 that were in some simi fancy stocks. One had been poorly refinished by someone and the other was showing some age.
He said that if I refinished the two stocks, add Limb Saver recoil pads and could make them look like twins, he would give me the T99. Plus the bullets for reloading.
Well I finished up the stocks last week and brought them to him. He was so happy with the stocks that he threw in a bayonet with the rifle.

I need to get a little more info from him on the rifle. All I know is that his dad brought it home at the end of WWII.
Well here is the rifle. Any info would be great.

And the Bayonet.

Niner
Site Admin

Re: Last ditch Type 99 Arisaka

Post by Niner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:46 pm

Now that was a deal. Still has the mum...and a bring back too...and on top of that the bayonet. That split butt I think is fairly common as I undestand all the stocks were all made from two pieces of wood...at least the butt...even the earlier production before the last ditch. You are the man when it comes to fixing that anyway.
riceone
Contributing Member

Post by riceone » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:09 pm

Very nice 34th series. Everything look like original. Metal should have been blue. Does it look like it has been buffed or does it look like it came that way? Beautiful stock. riceone
Candyman
Contributing Member

Post by Candyman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:10 pm

I'll have to ask my friend about the finish and get some background on where his dad picked it up.

Here are the stocks that I worked on for the tread.
before
after
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Nice rifle and nice stocks as well. I have a rifle in the same series as yours but a four digit serial number. Mine has the adjustable sight instead of the fixed peep. There will be a post about it somewhere below.

Regards
Peter.