You can believe this or.......not

This is where to ask questions and offer experiences about the art and science of ammunition building. Also observations about any acquired ammo.

Moderator: dhtaxi

Niner
Site Admin

You can believe this or.......not

Post by Niner » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:16 pm

Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: You can believe this or.......not

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:56 pm

Does that mean that their previous primers were corrosive, like some surplus ammo ???

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:36 pm

My thought was that the primers were not so important as the makeup of the powder they set off when it came to corrosion. But the advertisement doesn't say anything about power.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:09 pm

It is my understanding that the primers are corrosive, not the powder.

From Cheaper Than Dirt web site.....

"Corrosive ammunition is ammunition that uses a primer with chemicals that, when ignited, leave a residue of corrosive salts.
Most often, these primers have potassium chlorate or sodium perchlorate which, when burned, decomposes into potassium chloride or sodium chloride.
Sharp-eyed readers will note that sodium chloride is also known as common table salt.
Potassium chloride isn’t much different than common table salt and both are very hygroscopic (meaning that they attract water) and, because of that, are highly corrosive."

From Accurateshooter.com web site......

"What Is “Corrosive” Ammunition?
What makes ammo “corrosive”? Generally speaking, primers are the problem. When corrosive ammunition is fired, the ignited primers leave a residue of corrosive salts. Typically these primers contain potassium chlorate, or sodium petrochlorate which, when burned, change into potassium chloride or sodium chloride. Sodium chloride is also known as common table salt.

Potassium chloride and sodium chloride are both very hygroscopic (i.e. they attract water). Because of that, these alkalis are rust generators. When exposed to the hydrogen and oxygen in the air (and moisture) potassium chloride and sodium chloride can form an acid that quickly causes metal rifle parts to rust and pit."

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:56 pm

:oops: Guess my surmise was all wet. Interesting to know.