Bayonets

Things a soldier would carry other than firearms, ammo, or uniforms. Meaning equipment such as ammo pouches, bayonets, holsters, oil cans, cleaning equipment, etc.

Moderator: joseyclosey

PeterN2

Bayonets

Post by PeterN2 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:41 am

I have not been a collector of bayonets but these have come my way over the years so I thought I would take some photos of them.

I have three of the spike bayonets for the No.4 Lee Enfield rifle.
Spike bayonets for No. 4 rifle 1.jpg
I have a No.7 and a No. 9 bayonet for the No.4 Lee Enfield rifle. The No.7 bayonet, the top one, should have a ring on the hilt but it has been ground off on this one. Maybe someone wanted a knife and got rid of the ring as it was in the way.
No. 7 and No. 9 bayonets for No.4 rifle 1.jpg
I have two P07 bayonets for the SMLE rifle. The top one is Enfield made in 1915. The point has been blunted on this one at some time. The bottom one is a Wilkinson dated 1917. The Enfield is in a round button scabbard and the Wilkinson is in a tear drop button scabbard.
P07 bayonets for SMLE 1.jpg
This is a bayonet for the US M1917 rifle.
US M1917 bayonet 1.jpg
These are bayonets for the Japanese Arisaka rifle. One is bright with the hook and the other is blued without the hook.
Arisaka bayonets 1.jpg
This is a bayonet made by by Terni for the Carcano rifle.
Carcano bayonet 1.jpg
This is a bayonet for the Mannlicher Model 1895 straight pull rifle. It came covered in arsenal grease so I left it and never cleaned it up. This bayonet is different as the cutting edge is on the top and not on the bottom as all the others.
Mannlicher M1895 bayonet 1.jpg
This is a bayonet for the FAL rifle. It is a Type A version and could well be a bring back from the Falklands war as the Argentine Army used this bayonet type.
FAL Type A bayonet 1.jpg
If anyone wants any details of markings etc I can do photos of them .
Regards
Peter.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Bayonets

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:56 am

Thanks peter. For a non collector that is 13 bayonets :lol:
Must have a look at mine and see if I can photograph them. I think I have 6.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:01 am

Interesting post, Peter. Reminded me of a bayonet I got with an order from, I think, Century some years ago. It was free with whatever it was I ordered that had no relationship to the knife. And... it doesn't fit any rifle I own. It was made by the Spanish for their CETME Model C military rifle. If what I'm reading online is right it is a Modelo Machete Bayoneta M1964. Odd scallop out of the belly of the blade. Kinda of a Kukri gone wrong.

Did a quick look online and you can buy them for about $25.... if you want one. But I like the handle and the finger grooves. Just an ugly looking knife.
Attachments
one.jpg
two.jpg
three.jpg
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:03 am

Just to be pedantic (and a smart arse) the bayonets for the No1 Rifle ( SMLE ) are not really bayonets, they are swords, designed to be attached to rifles and thus used as bayonets if necessary.

Officially they were "Swords, bayonet....."; thus making the Australian Army one of the last whose ordinary soldiers were armed with swords.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:21 am

I missed one out. I forgot about this one hanging from a gin trap chain by a gun cabinet. I think it is for the French Gras rifle. It is dated 1877. I don't have a scabbard for this one and it was a bit rusty when I got it.
Gras bayonet.jpg
Gras bayonet inscription.jpg
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:31 am

My "free" bayonet is called by a different number at Atlanta Cutlery. But...wow...look at the "closeout" price. Who would have thought it?

https://www.atlantacutlery.com/spanish- ... me-bayonet