cleaning off cosmo from stock

Questions and tips about taking care of the weapons we collect and shoot.

Moderator: Aughnanure

speared um

cleaning off cosmo from stock

Post by speared um » Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:09 am

I have a CZ 24 that soaked up cosmo, and after the 1st. cleaning the stickeness was gone. The stock had a nice looking wood underneath the dark stain of the cosmo.

I used some Purple Power on the wood, and removed the PP by wiping with paper towels instead of water. Most of the surface cosmo came off, except for dings the held the stain.

Now the wood looks dull and lifeless, and I don't know what to do next. Should I try another application of PP, and follow up with lemon oil.

Or skip the PP but wipe it down with mineral spirits to remove any residue, and finish with Tung oil?

Any help would be appreaseated!

thanx dante'

<p>
oklahomaman

Re: cleaning off cosmo from stock

Post by oklahomaman » Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:37 am

Just set it aside for a couple of months and it will be all sticky and nasty again.

I have a Beautifully figured walnut Turk Mauser stock and a Soviet M44 that have been giving up grease for a couple of years now. I'm not even going to bother with finishes until they are clear but everytime I clean them, within a month or few, their both seething grease again.

There is no way to clean an oil soaked stock in just a couple of quick sessions. That unissued M48A Mauser in the presentation forum, I spent probably around 100 hours over the period of a month getting it clean. I haven't cared that much about getting them completely grease free since that rifle but be warned, if you put a nice finish on a stock that still has grease in it, it will come through spoiling your nice finish.

oklahomaman.

<p>Come check out my photos at---.<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... <!--EZCODE LINK END-->

Milsurp After Hours Forum--<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://pub4.ezboard.com/bmilsurpafterho ... <!--EZCODE LINK END-->
speared um

Post by speared um » Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:17 pm

How about putting a split shalac finish to keep the grease from comming out. Would that spoil the origional history of the piece. I don't want to modify any Mil surp, but I was not sure about the shelic finish.

Right now, I'll try one more coat of PP, wipe off with paper shop towels, wipe the stock with mineral spirits and apply Tung Oil. If it bleeds in a few months, I just clean and reaply Tung Oil.

Do you think that's a good plan?

thanx dante'

<p>
Brass Rat
Leading Member

Post by Brass Rat » Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:24 pm

How do you like yours? Rare, Medium, or well done?

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL114/955 ... 824724.jpg" style="border:0;"/><!--EZCODE IMAGE END-->

<p>
Retired Systems Engineer
Full time Grandpa to

James 16
Angela 15
Khaley 5
Kendall 4
Loralai 2
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:27 pm

Sounds like a good plan with the Tung oil speared um. Heat has a way of boiling the grease to the top. A good shooting session at the range will boil some out from the heat of the metal. Take some paper towels with you for wipes. Puting the rifle in the trunk of your car on a warm day will act like a mild oven get it to moving grease to the surface too. Or leave the stock in the sun on a warm day works too. I really don't think it would be possible to seal the grease in with shelac though.

<p>
speared um

Post by speared um » Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:43 am

Make mine medium, with the Cosmo sauce in the side!

I'll try to bake mine in the car with

a little Litter coating...

do I need to baste it,

or will it take care of it's self?

After the bake, coat with oil to bring out

the patina of the wood! :loco:;

thanx Dante'

<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub4.ezboard.com/bmilsurpafterho ... um>speared um</A> at: 3/26/03 8:10:35 am

</i>
Brass Rat
Leading Member

Post by Brass Rat » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:21 am

I have 2 cats, I try to keep the kitty litter as far away from the rifles as possible:D;

<p>
Retired Systems Engineer
Full time Grandpa to

James 16
Angela 15
Khaley 5
Kendall 4
Loralai 2
twotoescharlie

cosmo in the stock

Post by twotoescharlie » Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:23 pm

as long as that cosmo is in the stock-it won't rust! hehehe