couple of ideas:

Questions and tips about taking care of the weapons we collect and shoot.

Moderator: Aughnanure

pyro1711

couple of ideas:

Post by pyro1711 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:41 am

Cleaning cosmoline from all the nooks and crannies:

When you take your barreld action out of the stock, hang it from a bent coat hanger and let Mother Nature cook it in the sun. (on cold days I will use one of those small household propane torches to get the metal WARM to the touch) I then spay it down with Brake Cleaner. The trick is getting it warm enough where the cosmoline starts to break down and start to melt. DO NOT and I can not stress enough DO NOT get the metal too hot if you use the torch method! Let it cool down BEFORE you spray it!!! You want it warm to the touch and NOT so hot you cant keep your hand on the metal. After I have that done I spray everything lightly with KROIL (WD40 or LPS should work the same) and let it set for a day giving the KROIL time to saturate the metal, I then wipe it down with a rag removing the excess.

**KROIL is some great stuff if you can find it locally, if you have light surface rust you can saturate it with the KROIL and it will remove the rust in a day or two, I keep saturating it until the surface rust is gone**

Getting cosmoline out of the stock:

*I saw this on another posting board and do not remember who worte it. I appologize I do not remember the persons name whos idea this was*

His idea was to take a couple of sections of heat duct and make it slightly longer than the stock, He then used one of those small ceramic heaters and placed it on one end so it basically made a mini oven. I used the square stuff and had a buddy of mine punch a mesh in the floor and place a drip pan under that. Always make sure you keep a close eye on how hot the wood is getting so you dont burn your house down. I pull the stock out every so often and wipe what has seeped out off with paper towels, place it back in there and start all over again. Heat is cosmolines worst enemy.. It will take a couple of days, but you will eventually bleed out the nasty cosmoline from the wood.

<p>