Machine tools

Questions and tips about taking care of the weapons we collect and shoot.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Aughnanure

Machine tools

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:59 pm

No one has ever mentioned having a lathe or other machine tools on the forum and I was wondering how many of us have a lathe or a mill or even a basic drill press?

Do many/any of us do our own gun work?

Who has built their own firearm (where doing so is lawful)?
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Machine tools

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:59 am

Here is my workshop. It is now much tidier :shock:

No serious tools but a Pillar Drill, Double Grinding Wheel and an Extractor fan for the casting I do.
If I need anything more than that I have a friend with a lathe and welding kit but his eyesight is fading and
his back is bad so he finds any close up work hard to do now.
I do manage a lot of work though and I have a couple of material stores in the barn which keep things in order.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:49 pm

I found the drill and the saw :bigsmile:
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:20 am

Aughnanure wrote:I found the drill and the saw :bigsmile:
Honestly, it's MUCH cleaner and tidier now Eoin, HONESTLY it is..........................
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DocAV

Post by DocAV » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:44 pm

MY workshop is much more of a Bordello than any of the Photos...But we are getting it cleaned up....Too Much Clutter and Crap ( nearly all "Gun & Cartridge" Related....).
Now after two days hard work, we can see the concrete floor most of the way through the shed.!!! ( and have removed the dead Python skins (they shed once or twice a year) as well as accumulated Python droppings....oh, what's a Python/s doing in my shed...he/she is the Resident Rat & Gecko Catcher and Live in-Security System.... Normal in Aussie Bush and back-yard sheds...

Basically, when I set it up ( 1993) in a Purpose-built steel-cladded, steel-frame shed, it got a 10x40 ( 250x1000) Lathe (Taiwanese, very good), a similar make Mill Drill (geared head), and old Aussie Hercus ARL (Gunsmithing) Lathe with lots of accessories, and the usual collection of gunsmithing Hand tools etc. Since 93, I have added a Corbin CHP Hydraulic Bullet swager machine, a Polish Ceglieski Turret Lathe ( still unused, and unconnected), a Terrco x4 Stock Copier, more woodworking tools, and a full Dillon Reloading setup etc. ( Three 1050 machines, with Electric Primer Shakers, Electric case trimmer, etc.etc.) as well as other reloading equipment. Different workshop areas are set up with Solid walls for Work safety ( an "Ammo Loading Room", a Tunnel Room with Vault, an Ammo storage room, an Office with Library, and the General Workshop area, with "Cold " ( machine tools) and "Hot" ( soldering/welding, casting) working areas.
In January this year, I added a 6x7,4 metre extension, for Cartridge processing ( Polishing, Bulk storage, etc...recycling Military brass). Total shed coverage, 7,4 metres wide by 21 metres long. ( bays are 3m x 7,4m)...I had laid a concrete slab back in 1993, to accomodate an eventual enlargement. (original shed 15x7,4 metres)

On the Gunsmithing/making side, I have made barrels for SMGs,MGs, Bolt rifles, Pistols, etc; repaired various Categories of Guns, and even built ex-novo, Machineguns suitable for Movie Blank-fire use.Modifing guns for particular Movie requirements is my "stock in trade" so to speak ( Built Two "Tunnel-Rat" SMLE s from parts ( 8 inch barrel, handgrip butt) using a photo of a museum original from 1917 as a guide. ( See "Beneath Hill 60").

MY workshop is both a Commercial enterprise, as well as a "Bloke's Shed" ( sometimes I find it hard to differentiate "Profit" from "Personal Satisfaction".).. Once I get it tidied up and "Functional" again, I suppose the real hard work is keeping it clean and orderly.... Now where did I put that bottle of Lee-Enfield Sling-swivel screws???? or that case of Japanese T38 spares?......

Three years (almost) away from serious work for Cardiac refurbishment does accumlate a lot of Junk and disorder.....

" A shed, like a Nation, needs a bloody revolution every now and then, to rejuvenate it" ( apologies to Thomas Jefferson's statement about "the Tree of Liberty needs to be watered with the Blood of Patriots every 20 years..."

Sheds need regular cleaning, and "de-cluttering"....but everything "might" have a use sometime in the future?????

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics Film Ordnance Services
Technical services ( Obsolete cartridge case maker)
Forensic Services ( Firearms and Ammunition examiner)

Brisbane Australia.
Brass Rat
Leading Member

Post by Brass Rat » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Damn Doc, I need to live closer to you!!!

Hard to imagine Mk VII ball rounds being fired from an 8" barrel, in a tunnel. If it doesn't bust your eardrums the muzzle flash will surely blind you for the next 10 minutes.
Retired Systems Engineer
Full time Grandpa to

James 16
Angela 15
Khaley 5
Kendall 4
Loralai 2