1856 4th Model Tranter revolver

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Aughnanure

1856 4th Model Tranter revolver

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:29 am

Just took delivery of an 1856 single trigger Tranter, 5shot revolver.442 calibre.

The seller described it as rusty and a rusty bore but from the photos, I decided to take a punt on it as there appeared to be a bit of original finish and the nipples were undamaged.

Imagine my surprise when I saw it "in the flesh", appears virtually unfired and with a brilliant bore and the chambers are faintly shiny, none of the screws are butchered and the woodwork is unmarked, very crisp checkering; the action works perfectly; even the safety catch!!

Sorry that I can't send photos at the moment but hope to have that problem fixed shortly.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.

I went into the archives of the forum that it was advertised on and the link below shows the photos, a click on each photo will enlarge it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/alqhjdr95zeq ... bUXIa?dl=0

Eoin.
Aughnanure

Re: 1856 4th Model Tranter revolver

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:45 am

Here's the seller's description:
Item: Tranter 4th model revolver. 54BP.
Price: $800
AHN Condition: Piece of crap
Serial number: 7519
License Number: NSW 408719908
Transfer Through: Either Abelas Campbelltown or Tough Gear Queanbeyan
Description: “Antique firearm” in NSW. Can be held on collector licence. Rust pitting on frame. Barrel rusty inside. Indexes and locks up ok. Has Australian markings on barrel: Henry Challener, 61 King St West, Sydney, New South Wales. Comes with holster. Maybe good for spares or as a unique collectible piece of Australiana. Item was valued by a Sydney dealer in Jan 2019, and I am listing it at the price he recommended.
I offered $500 and it was accepted plus $40 postage but as the postage was only $30 he sent me back $10 and the packaging was better than excellent, well and truly bubble wrapped inside a stout cardboard box

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:48 am

I looked up an image of what a pistol like yours looked like to get an idea. I'd say compared to an American pistol from that era you got a for sure good deal. If the seller even refunded the difference in shipping you paid that is equally remarkable.

The description was surprisingly weighted to the negative quality side as well. In the US, when buying stuff on ebay, the description is decidedly on the blind eye to the negatives side from the seller.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:27 am

Well done Eoin, 320€! Here they would be looking for 1000+€.
Here is one for 5200€.
https://www.naturabuy.fr/Coffret-necess ... 27482.html
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:07 am

Finally got to fite the Tranter, only took from October 2021 to June 2022 to get it.registered for target shooting, the only legal firing allowed.

Fired ten shots at 25 metres and put five in the black, four in the white and one ‘who knows where’

First shot in probably 150years or more was a 10 (mostly a 9 but it cut the 10 ring).
Possible reason for it having been used so little, and consequent near new mechanical condition plus neglect, are the truly terrible trigger pulls.
I didn’t even try single action but fired all shots double action with a two hand hold.

Just tried to add photo of the target but the file is too large.
Will have another go later after some experimenting.

Here you are Eoin, no problem mate!
20E40A39-8945-4D41-AE3D-9D3C4A1FCDB0.jpg
20E40A39-8945-4D41-AE3D-9D3C4A1FCDB0.jpg (408.61 KiB) Viewed 919 times

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:40 am

If you have any trouble email the image(s) to me and I will sort them for you Eoin.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:47 am

Glad you got a chance to fire it. Considering the age of the firearm it was probably a take a deep breath and hope everything is in fireable condition and I didn't miss any metallurgical flaws when pulling the trigger for the first time. Looks like it works as good now as it did when it was new by the holes in the paper. Obviously it must have held together fine. Congrats.

If you are using windows, Irfanview is a free download that I've used for years to resize photos.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:11 am

Duncan,
Thanks for that, keeps my bragging average up.

Niner,
Unfortunately I’m an Apple user.these days but still have Windows on the old fashioned computer so will install it on that once I raise steam. Volume
Thanks for the tip.

Eoin.