Its the anniversary of Gettysburg this weekend

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

Its the anniversary of Gettysburg this weekend

Post by Niner » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:32 am

This weekend is the anniversary of the three day battle at Gettysburg during the Civil War. 159 years ago was not exactly yesterday of course. Today I saw a photo of a model 1853 Enfield that was used in the Civil War and shown by a page that is devoted to Gettysburg and may have been used in that battle...or not.

I happen to have two model 1853's. One is an Italian reproduction made maybe 20 years ago. The other is a Napal historic arm that was made actually for military use in the old British Empire and probably within 20 years or so of the American Civil War.

I thought I'd take a photo of the three side locks side by side after copying the image of the Civil War one off of facebook. As should be pretty obvious, the top rifle in the handmade collage is the Civil War rifle imported to America in the 1860's, one of a reported 900,000 used by both sides, the second is the not nearly as well treated Napal specimen and the last the reproduction.

By the way, The Springfield 1861 was the most used single model rifle used in the Civil War....so I read.
Attachments
Enfield-001.jpg
Enfield-001.jpg (242.25 KiB) Viewed 542 times
enfield.jpg
enfield.jpg (41.18 KiB) Viewed 542 times
Napal.jpg
Napal.jpg (170.88 KiB) Viewed 542 times
repro.jpg
repro.jpg (151.58 KiB) Viewed 542 times