My latest target rifle

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Aughnanure

My latest target rifle

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:22 am

Late last year a muzzle loading underhammer target rifle came up for sale on USED GUNS a local trading site.
It is a Hopkins and Allen (so named, but H&A never made anything like these), a friend who has passed way, rebuilt this rife and fitted a .50. barrel made by the Lithgow Small Arms Co (Slazengers) in about 1955; it was one of a batch made for the local m/l club.
I didn’t really need another target rifle but remembering Jack got the better of me; they had reduced the price to $800 and I made an offer of $600 that was accepted.
What with one thing and another including Covid restrictions, I didn’t get to fire it till last Saturday.
Herewith.some pics of the rifle and my best target, curtesy of Duncan.
I didn’t touch the sights, left them as set when I got it, figured that setting would be a good starting point.
Charge was 40 grains of WANO 3fg made in 2005.

I swear that there are five shots on the target; I looked through the spotting scope and didn’t believe it, but I’d put out five charges in plastic vials and five caps, the vials were empty and the caps gone.
Range was 50 metres, no wind, bright sun, a perfect winter’s day.
Attachments
E4.jpg
E4.jpg (185.84 KiB) Viewed 529 times
E2.jpg
E2.jpg (340.21 KiB) Viewed 529 times
E1.jpg
E1.jpg (333.99 KiB) Viewed 529 times
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: My latest target rifle

Post by Niner » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:50 am

Bet you are the only kid on your block with one of those. :bigsmile:

It is a mystery to me too what could have happened to the fifth shot. You pretty much did a job on the center section of that target. Great shooting eye and if one of the five shots got lost certainly the others found their way.
Aughnanure

Re: My latest target rifle

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:13 pm

Thanks again, Duncan.

The second photo got in there by mistake and I couldn’t get rid of it. Gone now Eoin!
Will be doing some serious shooting with this but no hunting, haven’t weighed it yet but I can only just, shakily, hold it offhand.

Spot on with me being the only kid on the block with one of these although there are a few of the original ones, I think by Numrich, around.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.