New buy (maybe)

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

Re: New buy (maybe)

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:15 am

Tapatalk as a messageboard is the later day configuration of Easyboard. Easyboard was what this site was twenty years ago. If anyone around still remembers, Easyboard used to hold board providers up for more and more money and get participants of boards to contribute money. At the time they were the cutting edge in messageboards and somewhat gave value for their mining of income from the users. And message board starters who were led to believe they were "owners", in the same way as a facebook page owners, and users alike, were pretty ignorant of how the internet worked. Then, one day it all crashed. Much of what had been on this site went away and only some was reconstituted. But the up side was that this site went to it's own platform on it's own server without the constant predator business ownership. And this site has managed to last a lot of years, problems from time to time, without much money from donations and no advertising at all, thanks to my son the professional computer and internet guy who has offered his services free.

The new and improved Tapatalk, at last glance is chock full of spam advertisements and no telling what the actual platform owners do with the information they glean from users.

However, I know Duncan is a big fan and promoter and the site Duncan finds fantastic may have some real wise comments from the participants. Just be aware that the platform is suspect in some ways. Unlike here, non registered users can't see any post on the site. They need to mine your information first as a condition for "free" information. Maybe Duncan could try to advertise Milsurp After Hours at Tapatalk. Duncan advertises them here and it would seem to be only fair to do the reverse......just saying.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:50 am

As I have said many times Robert, I don't get a single advert on any of my Forum or Facebook sites because I use AdBlock, AdBlock Plus, AdBlock for YouTube and Ghostery - All free.
You will find that British Militaria Forums has a HUGE amount of free to access information but it does not cater for Milsurps as a general rule. 'British' is the defining word :D
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:22 am

Here is a link to your question on my BMF which you are welcome to follow Eoin.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/british ... ml#p273013

You might be interested to join after you have had a look, it is an fantastic source of knowledge.........
Back when the milsurp sites of all versions were in their heyday it was considered bad form for a member of a forum, much less a moderator of senior status, to recommend another message board as a "fantastic source of knowledge" and suggest a member or members join it. Now that Milsurp is in it's sinking stage, abandon ship messages, while the pumps are still working, and the hull still floating, does irritate the skipper.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:34 pm

OK Robert, I have posted details on the BMF site
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/british ... ew_topic=1
Not sure what, if anything will come of it but have done my part!!
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:36 pm

Thanks Duncan. We are now friends again. :bigsmile:

I signed in through facebook as I don't have a tapatalk account that's current. Facebook gave them my email address, which I knew was going to happen when I wanted to see your post, and shortly there after the give us some money plan arrived in my email box. "Goldpoints" they call it.

https://www.tapatalk.com/goldpoints
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:50 pm

It costs nothing to be a member and as I have said before, I use Adblockers on all sites so I don't see any ads either.
I donate to the forum from time to time when I feel rich!!
:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:10 pm

Sorry I'm so down on Tapatalk. It's the easyboard connection that still rankles. It was good of you to mention this site there. Maybe somebody will take a look at this site from there.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:34 pm

Well it went past maybe and became a parcel delivered by Australia Post yesterday, a day earlier than expected, with the bonus of an e-mail a few hours later telling me that it had been delivered😀.
Pics later.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.