Taylor Fur Getter

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
PeterN2

Taylor Fur Getter

Post by PeterN2 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:06 pm

I was recently reading a November 1968 copy of a UK magazine, The Gamekeeper and Countryside. I noticed an article about the Taylor Fur Getter made by the Taylor Fur Co., St Louis, Mo. This was patented on June 2nd 1914 and was made for the fur trade but was soon banned by the Federal authorities and manufacture was was stopped. An interesting invention that got the fur bearing animal to shoot itself. Unfortunately, it would also shoot anything that took the bait, not just the target species. I wonder how many still exist?
Taylor Fur Getter.jpg
Taylor Fur Getter.jpg (425.79 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Taylor Fur Getter

Post by Niner » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:37 pm

The better mouse trap for the really big mouse.

This reminds me. Recently I set a mouse trap in my garage storage room after I had heard a rat rummaging around. It was the larger size trap with strong spring. I just put a spoonful of peanut butter on the bait tab and set the trap. The next day I went back and the peanut butter had been licked off but the trap undisturbed. Smart rat. I thought I'd reload with a bit of cheese tied down with some string. But then didn't do anything right away and put that task on the back burner. A few days later I needed something out of the storage and when I opened the door I noticed this big rat dead in the trap. Guess he thought he'd go back to lick the tab clean. It was his undoing.

Now if I had one of those gun traps it might have worked the first time.........or I might have ended up with a bullet hole in something else in the room.....like a gas can maybe. Or, possibly more likey and worse, I tripped over the bait end of the trap while not paying attention where I was walking and ended up with a bullet in my leg.