I read it in a newspaper from a hundred years ago

This is the place for thoughts that you want to share about nearly anything that comes to mind. Politics is ok as well. All notions and opinions are the view of the poster and not this site. Just remain civil in whatever you wish to express.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Re: I read it in a newspaper from a hundred years ago

Post by Niner » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:02 pm

Thomas A. Edison, the genius of Menlo Park turned 74 a hundred years ago. He took out his crystal ball on the issues of the day. Not exactly politically correct by today's standards: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn ... d-1/seq-3/
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:22 am

Science a hundred years ago. Now days there are chromosomes that are checked out with blood tests and by studying them comparisons can be made between two people's blood samples. Back then, by using an "electric radio meter", an expert in a "physioclinical laboratory" could tell by electric blood tests a Spaniard from an Italian from a Frenchman.....so the newspaper said. One paternity case by the method held up in court. Wonder what medical tests and procedures done now days will be considered bogus a hundred years from now?

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn ... d-1/seq-1/
Attachments
download (41).jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:48 am

Remember smoking? Now days cigarettes are fast becoming about as desirable as an eight track tape player. But... in my youth I smoked and most of my contemporaries smoked. A hundred years ago a store ran a cigarette carton sale. Recognizing some of the brands that still existed fifty years after the advertisement, when I was in my early smoking days, I was surprised to see Pall Mall cigarettes cost more than Camel's or Lucky Strike or Chesterfield. By the time of my military experience and we got "care packages" for dividing among the troops and the Pall Mall's... we called them red balls..... were the last cigarettes in the box because they were the least desirable and often fell my lot. The Marlboro and Winston went first by the way. Another thing about the advertisement, if there are any menthol cigarettes in the list I don't notice them. Menthol cigarettes, like Newport and Kools didn't come around until probably the late 50's or early 60's. In the Army the black guys generally craved the menthol smokes for some reason.

I did a check of one of those then and now what a dollar will buy things. The Pall Mall cartons would cost $31.57 in today's money for 100 cigarettes. Double that amount of money for what we came to expect as the 200 cigarettes in a 10 pack carton.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:39 pm

Pussers Blue Liners
Screen-Shot-02-18-21.jpg

On 27 January 1989 the Royal Navy announced the end of the issue of Blue Liner duty free cigarettes, which were eventually phased out by 1991.

Blue Liners came in silver foil packs of 100, one for each stamp (coupon). 300 being the monthly maximum whilst ashore. These were made for Pusser by Sobrane or British Associated Tobaccos. They carried the blue line down the length of the cigarette with the words H.M. Ships only. On crossing the 12-mile excise barrier when at sea, your allowance changed to 600 per month with a different stamp (coupon) of any chosen brand purchased through the NAAFI Canteen onboard. Blue Liner stamps (coupon) were maroon but changed colours at the end of the enforceable month and DF always Light Blue.

Night leave was 25 cigarettes enforceable by the Reg Staff on leaving the ship or the MOD Police on passing through the dockyard gate. Many regulators turned a blind eye but the ModPlod did not.

Long Leave of 7 days or more was 200 cigarettes, no matter what the length of leave.

In UK waters and shore-bases; Sailors were entitled to 3 Red stamps = 300 plain / Filter ciggies

or

3/4 lb Pipe tobacco

or

3/4 lb Cigarette tobacco

I smoked around 60 a day in 1976/7 when I was in the Royal Naval Reserve and they were like smoking Indian wrestlers jockstraps!!!

We served on inshore mine sweepers BUT if the ship was outside the 3 mile limit for more than 24 hours ( which the Captain always made sure of!!!) in the UK you got an issue. I use to take mine and 'exchange them' at the United Services Club in Birmingham
White ensign.gif
White ensign.gif (2.37 KiB) Viewed 131 times
My ship;
CROFTON web.jpg
Crofton a.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:08 pm

Yes Robert, I remember the free cigarettes in the SP packs. You are right about everyone fighting
over the Winstons and Marlboros, they were first to go. That's when I started smoking menthols, the ones in
the SP packs were Salems. And I smoked menthols until I quit smoking in the late 1980's. Kools for years then
Marlboro Menthols until I quit.
That was the only time we got free smokes in the military, but a carton was only a couple bucks at the PX..... :D

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:49 am

I had given up smoking, then I joined the Army and started again; n Korea my favourites were Chesterfields, Lucky Strikes and El Roi Tan (the 10 cent cigar) and when strapped the freebies from Lord Nuffield, usually Capstan cigarettes in tins of 50.
We got 50 'Nuffields' free every payday (fortnightly). The story was that his Lordship was taxed at 21/- in the Pound, so to cut down his taxable income he gave the soldiery free fags.

I smoked till my late twenties then one day I went to Sydney Uni, with a mate who was getting a friend of his there to x-ray some pistols.
I asked the x-ray bloke if I could smoke; not in the lab; then he showed me the actual lung, preserved in a bottle, of a man who died from smoking.
I had a tin of "Log Cabin" fine cut in my pocket and carried it around till it turned to dust.

Never smoked after that except for one cigarette one night when camped by the roadside and one drag from an utterly disgusting Marlborough, that I threw in the fire in 1980.

That said, I still love the smell of a good tobacco.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:23 pm

I agree about the smell of tobacco, good pipe tobacco or a good cigar.
Cigarettes, not so much.... :roll:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:50 pm

We have all heard there is a case of being so far down everything looks like up. Assuming the bottom is zero, is it possible to be promoted up to zero from minus one? A hundred years ago there was this case.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn ... d-1/seq-2/
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:45 pm

I read a story the other day about how a hundred years ago some Protestant main line ministers had a meeting and pretty much came to the conclusion on emigration that too many people who couldn't speak
English and who were totally without pedigree of the melting pot variety ...according to the original founding populations.. should be allowed very limited to no access to the country as emigrants.

Well... today I read that a hundred years ago the Congress had a solution about a large influx of immigrants that might not melt in the pot so readily. Orientals from China and Japan were a major concern for some places like California.

Wonder how they would handle things today with Mexicans and South Americans and Muslims of the middle eastern sort?

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn ... d-1/seq-2/
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg