I read it in a newspaper from a hundred years ago

This is the place for thoughts that you want to share about nearly anything that comes to mind. Politics is ok as well. All notions and opinions are the view of the poster and not this site. Just remain civil in whatever you wish to express.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Re: I read it in a newspaper from a hundred years ago

Post by Niner » Fri May 07, 2021 12:18 pm

Back a hundred years ago the "our values are offended" groups were on the other side of the ledger. Hard to believe now days that such people existed oblivious to any awareness of public shame for racial prejudice of the most blatant kind. As obviously socially wrong as what this story talks about in a Black owned newspaper in Chicago a hundred years ago it does show how things have evolved to a more gentle society today.... feel good personal values on the left or not.

The whole thing with the troop occupation was caused by the French and British and other European countries on the winning side of WWI wanting to squeeze a lot of money out of a devastated and equally near bankrupt Germany. By way of intimidation and occupation of more of Germany and more confiscation of raw materials and other assets Germany was being squeezed in every way short of reviving the war. The black troops were meant to intimidate further by the fact that they were black, no doubt, on the part of the French. But be that as it may.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn ... d-1/seq-1/
Attachments
Foch.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Fri May 07, 2021 6:21 pm

So much for "Yankee" racial tolerance...... :roll:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon May 31, 2021 12:07 am

Tomorrow in the US is Memorial Day. It was originally to honor Union Dead as the South had a Confederate Memorial Day that was not on the same day. By the time of WWI the US had already had a few skirmishes with various Spanish speaking people but WWI sanctified the big national holiday North and South. However, the woke crowd of today were still a long way off a hundred years ago. The Secretary of the Navy made a Memorial Day speech in Buford South Carolina that seemed at the time pretty much Hail Hail the Gangs all here and ain't we all the best friends now united by our recently dead sons and our own sainted Civil War Iliad and Odyssey heroes on both sides.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn ... d-1/seq-2/
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:17 pm

There was an Admiral named Sims who went to England to get some award a hundred years ago involving the "Great War". He was making speeches and among them was one in which he told the British to not mind the Congressional windbags going on about supporting Ireland independence during the violence and the revolutionary actions in Ireland. He was sent a note to come home and report to the Navy Secretary when it seemed he was causing some political trouble back home by running his mouth. I couldn't help but see this cartoon and thing of Biden over in Europe now on his way to talk to Putin after already calling him every name in the book and making all kinds of threats. There is nobody in the US that can call him home though.

Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:39 pm

Sims got no slap on the wrist. He continued a charmed life in his career path and his life was without rebuke by any political backlash. In fact, he got lots of support in the press.

Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:51 pm

A hundred years ago prize fighting was a national interest. This was before TV and radio stations. The first live radio fight wasn't broadcast until a year later over any distance. The heavy weight championship of the world was a big deal. All of the newspapers had been writing about it and speculating on it for weeks. Even a paper in Mississippi had it on the front page. Jack Dempsey was the US champion slated to defend his title against the French wonder and the pride of Europe.

The fight is on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2UYwrU-Xro
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:23 am

Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:13 pm

A famous patriotic art image depicting the Spirit of 76 has been seen down trough the years. It's been reenacted countless times in patriotic parades and in stage productions. A hundred years ago this story appeared in several papers on the 4th of July.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
two.jpg
story.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:15 pm

So you think today's news is not above making stuff up when they need some filler. Check this out from a hundred years ago. This listing is alleged to have been gathered from tax records. When was the last time you listed the purchase of a hunting knife on your tax return? What taxing source would have a record of how many movies Americans saw in a year and how much they paid to see them?

Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:46 am

This is from a Regiment news printed a hundred years ago. Harding had just gone in office as President and to the victor went the spoils of government jobs. This joke had more than a bit of truth to it although working for the Post Office on local levels was something political operatives at lover levels gave out while the President was giving out ambassadorships and such.

From the 31st Regiment news in the Philippines in 1921
Attachments
jone.jpg
two.jpg