Disney World

This is the place for thoughts that you want to share about nearly anything that comes to mind. Politics is ok as well. All notions and opinions are the view of the poster and not this site. Just remain civil in whatever you wish to express.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Disney World

Post by Niner » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:20 pm

I got roped into driving my wife and grown daughter to Disney World recently. Both of them have been several times and my daughter must have been there a dozen or more times over the last couple of decades. Usually they fly but the air fare had doubled so I was talked into going along and driving the about nearly 500 miles. For me this was a first experience in corporate mega entertainment world and an awe inspiring in efficiency mega management of large crowds of people. No military could manage so much so efficiently.

First thing I had to grasp was the layout. Disney World, not to be confused with the much smaller but first Disney Land out in California, is in Ocala Florida and vicinity and huge and covering a lot of territory. It's a half dozen kingdoms are scattered over 47 square miles.

When you go, to do it up right, you stay in one of the Disney properties of condos in hundreds of three and four story buildings located in many subdivided housing resort areas owned by Disney. You move around to different Kingdoms by bus. Each subsection of named resort condos has it's own dedicated to different kingdom busses running continuously in twenty minute round trips from 7 am to late in the night depending on various things and park closing times.

Each person purchases a menu list of permissions and all is recorded in a wrist band computer chip. When you get to the park the wrist band knows all about you and what you paid for... including your birthday and many park "cast" members will great you at various gates with happy birthday. When you get to an admission point the wrist band must be touched to a sensor giving you a green light and then you must have your fingerprint scanned for a second light before letting you by the gate. You have to pay for access to each different kingdom. The wrist strap knows if you paid and the finger print shows that it's you and you didn't loan your bracelet to someone else.

Once you are in the gate you better have an idea of where you are going and know the ropes about how to get various perks like go to the head of the line permissions and how to purchase more such. And if you want to eat at a restaurant, and they have some of all price ranges including a good steak restaurant from the Don Shula's Steak House and the replica Brown Derby restaurant from Hollywood, complete with historic famous menu, you better book a reservation a day or two in advance. We ate at both.

My daughter was the tour guide. She knew the best attractions and we went on several of them two or three times. If I had stumbled into the place not knowing what was happening I would have been a lost ball in high weeds. And all of it starts early. My daughter had us up and out the door at 6:30 most mornings to be ready for the first bus to wherever we were going.

Some odd things:
Disney, being of the California state of mind, has outlawed straws made of plastic. If you buy a soft drink in a cup...no straw. Some restaurants will give you a paper straw.

There are a lot of young couples with kids in strollers, many double strollers with and extra baby carrier. There are large parking areas for strollers all over the place. Don't know why the people with very small children come to this expensive place with lots of walking. No doubt the toddlers aren't going to really remember even being here.

There were a lot of old or cripple people in motorized carts. They can drive their carts onto the busses at two per bus along with the people that are walk on riders.

Coca Cola, when sold in bottles comes in special bulb shaped bottles sold only at Disney World.

After you are home the special Disney ap you have on your phone will offer to sell you photos they took of you on several of the rides that you didn't know they took for exorbitant prices.

The map image is just of one of several "kingdoms". On one day, in a lessor popular kingdom there is an average of 11,000 people there at any given time and over 30,000 visitors per day on average according to a google.
Attachments
map.jpg
map.jpg (696.76 KiB) Viewed 209 times
DSC05179.jpg
DSC05179.jpg (235.8 KiB) Viewed 209 times
DSC05289.jpg
DSC05289.jpg (101.86 KiB) Viewed 209 times
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Disney World

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:38 pm

We lived near the original Disneyland in CA from 1980 to 1994. It was about a 40 minute drive away. We went so
many times that my oldest son and I got tired of it and quit going. That didn't slow down my wife and younger son, they
kept going all the time until we moved away. It is much smaller than Disney World, and back then it wasn't nearly as
expensive as it is now, you could afford to take the family often. Once the kids hit teen years, they also wanted to go to
Magic Mountain in Valencia (just north of L.A.), it had more thrill rides aimed at older kids.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:43 pm

Vern, once , for me, was an adventure. Twice would be insanity. I don't know why anyone would want to go more than once. But... I'm old too.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:57 am

Sounds ghastly!

I went off Disney when they shot Bambi's mother :(

Nothing in this world would entice me to visit ANY theme park, not just Disney!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:38 pm

I was in my '30s and the kids were small and I liked the roller coaster rides. When the boys got older and we let them
go off by themselves, wife and I would take the monorail over to the Disneyland Hotel and sit in the air-conditioned bar.
If I went on those rides now, it would probably disconnect my spine ...... :lol:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:30 pm

Most of the rides are pretty tame really. Worst thing is the dark interior as you get on various rides inside of buildings that by various means take you past automatons, like pirates or ghosts or something or other else. The first such attraction I went to I came down hard on my left foot when I missed a step in the dark. Lucky for me only the skin bruised and there was some swelling but it didn't hurt to walk.

The best attractions were the ones that made you feel like you were flying. We went on one of them three times that was about exactly like riding a Huey with your feet hanging in the breeze.....only going forward and not seeing the world from the side view like Vern and I both knew from a long time ago. You are lifted up and a giant video screen in a dish shape makes you feel like you are actually flying as the chair you are belted into moves and wind blows in your face.

Here is one that I didn't get on. This thing did all kind of twists and turns but I felt I was a little too far into senior citizen years to see any fun to be had in it.
Attachments
P1010314.jpg
P1010314.jpg (156.98 KiB) Viewed 176 times