I read it in a newspaper from a hundred years ago

This is the place for thoughts that you want to share about nearly anything that comes to mind. Politics is ok as well. All notions and opinions are the view of the poster and not this site. Just remain civil in whatever you wish to express.

Moderator: Niner

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: I read it in a newspaper from a hundred years ago

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:13 pm

Well, I guess if you already had the wine and you aren't selling it......... :mrgreen:
Always a way to get around things..... :lol:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:33 pm

Old Alphonse Capone and the boys would later make things roar in the 1920's. Guess with the new left wing maybe taking over for the present right wing we may get another age of do gooder politics of a different stripe.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:23 pm

On this date a hundred years ago it was announced that Boston had traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees. The sum paid was considered large for the day at six figures. The Sultan of Swat only got a $10,000 raise doubling his yearly pay. Too bad for Ruth there were no free agents back in those days.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn ... d-1/seq-1/
Attachments
headline.jpg
text.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:49 pm

A hundred years ago today this filler was in a newspaper. Hard to believe this sort of thing was only being thought of as cruel and unusual punishment a hundred years ago in the United States. I guess they were still flogging men. Wonder how serious an offense would have to be to get flogged?

Attachments
whipping.jpg
whipping.jpg (48.47 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:05 pm

A second post from a hundred years ago on the same date. Stuff you wouldn't even think about , much less know, unless you read century old newspapers.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn ... -1/seq-11/
Attachments
stamps.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:14 pm

There is an American Music award show on tonight giving out trophies for voted best in probably half a hundred categories. There is some stink because a woman who was some kind of top executive of the awards resigned in disgrace because of something or other and claims it is all rigged. Well..... who ever thought it wasn't? I mean.....it's like professional wrestling isn't it? The awards thing I mean.

In any case a hundred years ago America was now in the great prohibition era. The people who knew what was good for everybody and had the power to enforce it were in charge. Little did they know that they were birthing organized crime and Al Capone and the boys. But.. be that as it may. One super star of the day was willing to work for a couple of genuine, no tastes like beer, but actual beer, six packs.

Attachments
download.jpg
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:23 pm

If the beer was made before prohibition and not sold to him, they may get away with it...... :cool:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:39 pm

A hundred years ago Henry Ford was taking note of one crystal ball gazer predicting that fuel from oil would run out in 35 years. He proposed a car that would operate on alcohol made from plants....in his case he was producing fuel from hay. He had a new car he wanted to race against a fast train with the car on tracks.

Now days we have farmers working the gasohol lobby to add more corn alcohol to gas.....and screwing up boat engines and gas powered machinery that only works some times during a year.

Attachments
headline.jpg
text.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:04 am

Back a hundred years ago the tabloid stuff used to make the front page....pretty much like now... but now such non news fluff only involves famous people. Here is one concerning non famous people that Dear Abby would have had a good time chewing up and pontificating about many decades after this story showed up. https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn ... d-1/seq-1/
Attachments
download.jpg
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:03 pm

Or they could become Mormons, that would solve everything...... :mrgreen: