Standard issue Canadian Ross rifle

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Niner
Site Admin

Standard issue Canadian Ross rifle

Post by Niner » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:32 pm

I know it's not strictly British....but Canada is a blood relative ..... and the Ross was configured in .303. A friend has one and sees no proof marks on it to confirm it is still in .303. I'd think if the caliber had been changed, like maybe Duncan's Enfield in France, the rifle, if in Canada, would have had to be proofed and if proofed have some stamping on it to say it had been reconfigured. As it is there is no caliber mark on it at all.....that he can find.

I think he is being overly concerned at the prospect it had ever been converted to something else. He inherited it in some way. Any guess what it would be worth in say fair to good condition?

I found this video that tells about the Ross as both an excellent target rifle and a potential castastrophe if you assemble the bolt wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaSui_UqDX8
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Standard issue Canadian Ross rifle

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:08 am

Slugging the barrel will confirm the calibre.
Until you can determine the mark it would be difficult to put a price on it I think.

The only other calibre mentioned is .280 Ross for target shooting and hunting.

Wikopedia says " Following was Model 1903 Sporter some of these rifles were made in Hartford, Connecticut, but most (200 units, made from spare parts) were assembled at the brand new fabricating plant in Quebec City. Some of the Pattern 1903 Sporting Rifles were made in the .370 Express calibre, while some prototype chambered for .450/.500 Nitro is known to exist. Models .303 Brit. are common, .256 Mannlicher rare, and .370 Express are rare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_rifle

In the caser of my No.4 it is still .303 British, just a shorter chamber.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Post by Miller Tyme » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:47 am

+1, slugging the barrel and casting the chamber is the only way I can think of to verify the rifles caliber & cartridge.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:46 am

Casting te chamber. After hearing a lot of stories of chamber casting going wrong I settled on using Sulfur.
It works a treat and never get's stuck.

This video is the one that started me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8jE2o7ePbo&t=21s

This is a chamber cast from my BSA .310 Cadet.
Attachments
LOAD DETAIL.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.