A few pics from the Trafalgar

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

PeterN2

A few pics from the Trafalgar

Post by PeterN2 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:38 pm

I took a few pics of some of the Trafalgar meeting. Most of my time was spent on the 200 yard point on Century as that is where I was shooting or ROing.

As usual, the cannon started each morning and afternoon session.
TM06 Cannon.JPG
TM06 Cannon.JPG (28.67 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
Mr Barry Custance Baker was there again at the age of 91. He won his competition with a score of 45.4x50. It was mentioned at the prize giving that he won his first competition at Bisley in 1932. A fine Gentleman.
TM06 BCB1.JPG
TM06 BCB2.JPG
A few pics of the firing lines.
TM06 Detail.JPG
TM06 Black powder.JPG
M38 Nagent
TM06 M38.JPG
Win 94 .30-30
TM06 M94 John.JPG
The No5 sniper put in an appearance.
TM06 JC Sniper.JPG
A No.4 with unusual wood.
TM06 No4.JPG
A Snaps competitor
TM06 mauser.JPG
Snaps and rapid.
TM06 Snap rapid.JPG
Sniper snaps.
TM06 Sniper.JPG
Mrs Olivia Lamont shooting a flintlock that is about the age of the United States.
TM06 Flintlock.JPG
Mrs L again.
TM06 O Lamont.JPG
Martini in action standing.
TM06 Martini standing.JPG
And on Snaps.
TM06 Martini snaps.JPG
There were some odd rifles being used on the next firing point to us. Much too modern for my taste.
TM06 Black rifle.JPG
TM06 Blue rifle.JPG
My three companions for the week-end.
TM06 MJS.JPG
I heard Adam Sutherland's name mentioned at the prize giving as having won a moving venison match. I never saw him all week-end, I don't know where he was hiding. We were off camp in the evening at the Hen and Chickens and on the range all day.

Anyway, I had a good time in spite of the weather on Sunday and will be back next year.

Regards

Peter.
Last edited by PeterN2 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Niner
Site Admin

Thanks for the report Peter

Post by Niner » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:46 pm

91 year old Mr. Baker winning his contest! Great to see someone that old that can not only win but get into that odd, to the US, shooting position and win doing it.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:23 am

Great set of pics Peter, Thanks

Duncan
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Brian the Brit
Contributing Member

I can smell the black powder!

Post by Brian the Brit » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:16 am

Lovely set of pictures, Peter.

You've really captured the atmosphere. Many thanks.

Brian
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:07 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, I must be delusional, but that looks like sunshine in a couple of those photo.

Very nice set of photos. Hope I'm shooting at 91.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
belgmart
Contributing Member

Post by belgmart » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:58 am

Adam won the running deer? Well, good for him - he can join me! :bigsmile: Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the Trafalgar, but I got mine at the Imperial...

Seems like weather was typical Trafalgar weather, and I do recognize that figure shooting snaps with the Martini - Richard is always one of the top competitors for the mad minute too in the vintage category.

Any pics of Stickledown?
goblinslayer

Post by goblinslayer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:28 am

Ooooo that's me and Mrs Goblinslayer in the 4th picture, 2nd and 3rd from the right!!! :bigsmile:
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:05 pm

Excellent picture post Peter, love the shot of the Martini at full recoil, and its always a pleasure to see Mr Baker competing, and winning, long may he continue to do so.

Adam got a gong for winning the running dear, sorry, deer, ;) and he was wearing it taped to his forehead at the range last night. :lol: Unfortunately he had to retire from the rest of the competitions with a "gammy" leg which was giving him a great deal of pain.

Joe
belgmart
Contributing Member

Post by belgmart » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:09 pm

Yes, 577-450 does kick a bit, especially in the military rifle. Still, it is more spectacular in the standing position than it is painful. Now, prone usually is where flinches are developed...

Still, the 577-450 and Martini are making a comeback in the Vintage category (at least last Imperial...) - There were some pretty good scores shot with these, a Martini even took 1st place (not mine, unfortunately...)!
Strangely_Brown
Regular visitor

Post by Strangely_Brown » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:45 pm

2nd Picture from the bottom is a "Tubbs 2000" which the owner imported from the US this March, it's one of those modern things that you can change the barrel in 5 minutes and still use the same bolt.

Quite clever really, and you get a choice of colours!

However there is a happy ending to the story, the owner is also an Enfield owner.

Peter, great set of pictures as always, thanks.
Mick