Calling all UK shooters - Pistol Petition

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Calling all UK shooters - Pistol Petition

Post by dromia » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:22 pm

The Sportmans Association has lodged an electronic petition at No 10 for Olympic shooters to get their pistols back.

Its open to UK nationals and runs for year?, no doubt we'll have new PM by then.

If you haven't signed it then please do so, it probably won't make any difference but it should be interesting to see how they ignore it.

The link is here:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/TargetPistols/
ImageImage
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:31 pm

AND A BLOODY GOOD IDEA IT IS TOO.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:44 pm

Can you still shoot pistols in France
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:20 pm

To give you a brief idea.

There are six categories of ownership here.

Cat 1. Military Caliber Rifles - need local prefecture permission but you can own and shoot them.

Cat 4. ANY pistol, single shot, revolver or auto but NOT Black Powder originals or copies of originals. Same permission as Cat 1.

Cat 5. Hunting rifles, shotguns and military rifles converted to a 'Hunting' caliber. Buy and then notify the local Gendarmes you have it.

Cat 7. .22LR and some high power air riles. Buy and tell the Gendarmes as when you remember.

Cat 8. Free purchase with no restrictions. Black Powder rifles and pistols / revolvers. You do not have to tell anyone and you can buy, transport and store as much BP as you like. You don't even have to be a member of a club.

I recently went to a local gun shop and bought 1000 rounds of Blazer .22LR. Just paid at the checkout and went home. No record of my purchase. Did not need to see my license! Cost was £29.70.
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
PeterN2

I got an email from the NRA

Post by PeterN2 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:54 pm

I have signed it after I had an email from the NRA.

Regards

Peter.
brewstop
Regular visitor

Post by brewstop » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:08 am

I signed it, but does anyone seriously think this "Petition Website" is anything other than a meaningless piece of political propaganda?

Example: the last time I looked, by far the biggest petition was for the repeal of the Hunting Ban. But does anyone think the Govt is going to take note of about 7,000 petitioners, if they were quite determined to ignore the c.250k marchers that the Countryside Alliance mustered?

Sadly, the way things are in dear old Blighty at the moment, I think its more likely that petitioners' names will simply end up on a Police or Government database as "potential troublemakers" or suchlike...
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:02 am

Comment on epetitions by Peter Riddell in todays Times here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 37,00.html
ImageImage
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:29 am

Well, if you don't complain you will NEVER get change. That is not to say that complaints always get results. At least we are trying and it would seem to me that it is more effective than writing to your MP and asking them to act for you. :roll:
Duncan

blackisler
Moderator Sponsor 1911,12,13,14,15,16

Post by blackisler » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:30 pm

already signed the petition. I also believe the restrictions are in breech of the olympic charter by denying the free practice of target shooting for all in the uk, which according to the olympic charter, disqualifies the uk to field any olympic team whether it is track or field ,also it also disqualifies the uk to host the olympics
live life for today as tomorrow may never come