Enfield No4 Mk1 Folding Stock

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

cptbdrake

Enfield No4 Mk1 Folding Stock

Post by cptbdrake » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:22 pm

I recently won an auction for a Choate Machine Tool Co folding stock for an Enfield No4 Mk1. I've been interested in this type of modification for the Enfield since I saw that movie "Crocodile Dundee II" with Paul Hogan when he takes his girlfriend into the Outback to escape some pathetic mobster goons. In the movie his Enfield is a solid wooden stock rifle with what looks like a FAL Pistol Grip attached.

This buttstock is a wire stock folder with what appears to be a M16A1 pistol grip. More to follow once I've got it and have seen how the rifle shoots with it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =151956896
pictures of the gunstock.

Does anyone else have experience with this type of modification and any advice about it.

Bruce
cptbdrake

Re: Enfield No4 Mk1 Folding Stock

Post by cptbdrake » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:42 pm

I got the folding stock in the mail yesterday. It went on in about 20 minutes of fiddling with the instructions and removing the older stock. As a left handed shooter, I'll probably have to develop a cheek pad to bolt onto the stock as there is no place for a lefty to gain a proper cheek weld when the stock is extended. If I shoot it right-handed, the stock provides a decent cheekweld. The nice part is that I can easily cycle the bolt in the offhand while keeping it in the shoulder due to the pistol grip providing me with an ability to firmly hold the rifle in place.

The previous owner mentioned that the recoil increased with the Choate Stock attached due to the lighter weight of the rifle but since I handload, I think that won't be a showstopper.

More to follow this weekend as I have Friday off for a holiday and I intend to take it to the range to try it out.. I've got a spare magazine coming for this rifle from a fellow listmember so this rifle may go into a NRA Highpower Rifle Match for the fun of it in the future.

Bruce
A square 10
Leading Member

Post by A square 10 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:01 pm

although im not inmterested in altering any of my vintage enfields with one of these , id be interested in seeing photos - in case i come accross a bubbud rifle i cant say no to :D
cptbdrake

Post by cptbdrake » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:22 pm

Here's the picture of the auction item. I'll work on getting a picture of the stock on my bubba rifle.

Bruce
Attachments
pix1492516765.jpg
Tymberlord

Post by Tymberlord » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:55 am

I had no idea these were available .
Thanks for sharing.
Any photos of this stock mounted ?
...I have this bubba'd No5 , and .... ;)
" It's not the pipes , Laddie , It's the piper ! "
Brass Rat
Leading Member

Post by Brass Rat » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:16 pm

It appears to fold to the right, does the bolt handle clear it when folded?
Retired Systems Engineer
Full time Grandpa to

James 16
Angela 15
Khaley 5
Kendall 4
Loralai 2
cptbdrake

Post by cptbdrake » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:28 am

It clears when I don't have a left handed cheekpiece installed. I'll try to get a picture of it mounted posted this weekend.

Bruce
cptbdrake

Post by cptbdrake » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:10 am

I just saw that I had not yet uploaded pictures of this stock on my bubba Enfield No 4 Mk1.

I'l try to take a picture tonight after work and upload it to complete this thread.

Bruce