Lee Speed

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Lee Speed

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:51 pm

I was looking back through these photos and have a question. This one marked "volleysight"
has me stumped. Obviously the knob turns, but what does it do, I can't see where it moves anything
except the pointer on the dial..... :?:

LSvolleysight (2).JPG
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
englishman_ca
Regular visitor

Post by englishman_ca » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:08 pm

Long range volley sights. The knob on the arm shouldn't really turn, it is supposed to be solid fixed to the arm. The knob is used when aiming volley fire. The knob acts as the front bead for sighting through the rear volley peep hole. Put top of bead onto POA.

Not very exact, but such was volley fire at a distant target. The introduction of the machine gun to the battle field took over the roll of volley fire to create a beaten zone, so the volley sight became redundant, dropped from production half way through the First World War.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:36 am

Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:04 pm

The thing I didn't get was the rear sight, the video explained that, thanks guys.... :D

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.