Receiver marking, Pattern 14 rifle

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

A square 10
Leading Member

Re: Receiver marking, Pattern 14 rifle

Post by A square 10 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:46 pm

am i missing something here where are the winchester markings and the serial number ?
cptbdrake

Post by cptbdrake » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:37 pm

"This Winchester made pattern 14 rifle is chambered for .303 British (of course). It was used as a secondary rifle by the British in WWI. This example has a tiny import mark on the bottom of the barrel (which has a very good to excellent bore), a circled star on top of the receiver ring, a W preceding the serial number and British proof and broad arrow on the left of the receiver. The metal retains about 40% blue with blended gray and brown patina with some tiny rust spotting here and there. The stock is generously covered with light to heavy handling marks and the arm of the grenade launching sight is absent. A nylon British military sling is included."

This was the description that was on the auction. None of the auction pictures clearly show a Winchester marking although, I'm just happy to have won a P14 after 12 years of looking for one that wouldn't kill the bank account.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =172208726
I'm going to have to trust the seller until I get the rifle in my hands.

Bruce
Calfed
Regular visitor

Post by Calfed » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:03 pm

I have Winchester and an Eddystone P14's. The Winchester doesn't have any receiver markings as such--just a serial number that begins with a "W". the Eddystone has a small "ERA" legend on the receiver.
A square 10
Leading Member

Post by A square 10 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:28 am

i was aware that the markings are just the W / ERA / R on the pattern 1914 , i was more concerned that i could not see any in the photos , my thoughts were on the lines of his photos , the ERA on my eddystone P14 is prominent enough to show in a couple of those pics i think and the fact i couldnt see anything made me wonder if id missed something ,

from the writeup i think you may have a decent rifle when it gets there , would love to see a few better photos when it does , glad you found one that wasnt overpriced
cptbdrake

Post by cptbdrake » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:26 pm

I should have it by the middle of next week. I got notification that they received my payment today and it's supposed to be shipped out on Friday to my dealer's shop. (My C&R FFL is waiting for BATFE to update the license address...I'm not going to go into that ordeal... :roll: :mad: )
Bruce
cptbdrake

Post by cptbdrake » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:52 am

The P14 arrived yesterday and the bore looks beautiful and the headspace is TIGHT!

I have to detail disassemble it this weekend and really look it over but I got blessed with this one.

I'm going to try to take it to the range this weekend and baptize it properly as well as take some better pictures.

Right now I can confirm that it was manufactured by Winchester and it went through the Weedon Repair Program at the beginning of WWII making it a No 3 Mk II as it doesn't have the volley sights.

It has a unit marking brass plate on the buttstock but I'll have to describe it when I get home as I forgot to write the code down(it is X3302 so I'll have to do some research on the unit). It has the Brit's Broad Arrow marking on the receiver as well as the Crown's proof stamp. It has a circled star on the front receiver ring as well.

More to come as I take her apart!
:mrgreen:
Bruce
Calfed
Regular visitor

Post by Calfed » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:23 am

Good deal!
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:21 pm

Looking forward to the pictures. :bigsmile:
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
cptbdrake

Post by cptbdrake » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:09 am

I'm feeling bad about not taking pictures yet.

But I did get to shoot the rifle yesterday! Windage is just a touch to the left of where I'd like it to be but the rifle shoots nice small groups at 100 yards.

I did discover that during the rebuild it got a Eddystone bolt but everything else still matches.

I shot the rifle yesterday with a 185gr lead bullet (LEE Mold) sized and gaschecked to .312 over a load of 33.5gr of IMR 4007SSC. Right around 2100fps according to my fuzzy math on the conversion factors. I need to set my chrono up when I get a chance to see what this load is really doing. No leading and the recoil was nicely manageable for my 65 year old father-in-law as well.

Bruce