Whats your favourite shooting Enfield?

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Whats your favourite shooting Enfield?

Enfield Rifled Musket
3%
Long Lees
4%
SMLEs No1
31%
P14/P17 No3
9%
No4
30%
No4T
3%
No5
8%
L39/Envoy
1%
Ishapore 2A1
4%
Other
9%

Total votes: 80
Dullahan

Post by Dullahan » Sun May 18, 2008 2:18 am

joseyclosey wrote:Do you have any photos from Malaya Dullahan? I would be extremely interested in seing the experimental rifle in theatre.
Many thanks for the photos already posted.

Joe
Hello Joe,

Yes I still have a few 'Dog-eared' photos left but not of the rifle in use (it was subject to 'Official Secrets Act' at the time). The biggest drawback was the ammunition was 7.62 mm and everyone else had 303 for their Mk5s so if I ran out of ammunintion it was only any use as a Club. Although I did carry a personal side-arm an enfield pistol mark2/1. .38 cal.
Dullahan

Post by Dullahan » Sun May 18, 2008 4:05 am

joseyclosey wrote:Do you have any photos from Malaya Dullahan? I would be extremely interested in seing the experimental rifle in theatre.
Many thanks for the photos already posted.

Joe
Joe,

I looked up my Malaya "Junk" (as my wife calls it) last night and I have no photos of the X8E1 during the field trials. But, much to the propaganda put out by the "Emergency" authors The MPLA (Malayan Peoples Liberation Army) were pretty well equipped with Left over WW2 weapons mainly of Japanese military and Chinese manufacture. Their rifles were (at the begining) Arisaka type 99 which had a nanopod for firing from the prone position, Type 100 sub-machine gun and the type model 38 rifle.

They also had a few British Enfields and later 'Captured' SLRs.

Their main problems were in the ammunition there was such a variety for the same rifles and not interchanglable.
bradtx
Contributing Member

Re: Whats your favourite shooting Enfield?

Post by bradtx » Mon May 10, 2010 6:36 am

Adam, Since it's been a few years and more than a few rounds down range I find it surprising that there still isn't a single vote for the No.4(T). :shock:

Since I last posted on the thread, the L42 still doesn't care what ammo it shoots, still great fun to shoot them all (even if I'm having a bad range day) and the No.5 still draws too many people to my station. ;)

Brad
cptbdrake

Post by cptbdrake » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:13 am

My first personally owned rifle was a Savage No 4 mk 1 but I've started to really like the P14 Enfield I just recently bought. Either way after all my rifles, I enjoy my 303 Brit rifles more than any other (although my Mausers are in a close 2nd.

Bruce
silverfox

Post by silverfox » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:33 pm

I had to vote for the #4 T. I just shot mine for the first time last week. My best 3 shot group was 1.1" at 100 yards.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:26 pm

Welcome to the site Silverfox. Not everybody....including me...has a 4T in their collections. Glad it shoots good for you.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:08 am

silverfox wrote:I had to vote for the #4 T. I just shot mine for the first time last week. My best 3 shot group was 1.1" at 100 yards.
Welcome to MAH silverfox, what ammunition were you useing in the No4T?

Joe
silverfox

Post by silverfox » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:52 am

joseyclosey wrote:
silverfox wrote:I had to vote for the #4 T. I just shot mine for the first time last week. My best 3 shot group was 1.1" at 100 yards.
Welcome to MAH silverfox, what ammunition were you useing in the No4T?

Joe
Thanks for the welcome.

It was some vintage 1960's / 70's Remington 180 grain that came with the rifle. I bought some new Remington as well and was pleasantly surprised to see that it shot the same as the vintage stuff. Says something about Remington and their quality control.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:55 am

You have a sweet shooting combination there, congratulations.

Joe
silverfox

Post by silverfox » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:58 am

Niner wrote:Welcome to the site Silverfox. Not everybody....including me...has a 4T in their collections. Glad it shoots good for you.
Thanks for the welcome.

I know that they are not that common and I'm very lucky that she found me. She does shoot well, but is not in pristine shape. I need to strip her down and give her a good once over to get rid of a bit of surface rust. Also need to have the scope looked at as it is frozen up.