Today is Vietnam War Veterans day

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

Today is Vietnam War Veterans day

Post by Niner » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:22 am

Vietnam War Veterans Day was first observed as a one-time occasion on March 29, 2012, when President Barack Obama issued a proclamation calling on “all Americans to observe this day with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.”

The day was then introduced as an annual event in 2017 when President Donald Trump signed the Vietnam War Veterans Recognition Act of 2017.
Such days, of course aren't actually federal holidays as there are only ten officially recognized, or eleven actual holidays, depending on if you count Christmas or not. Christmas isn't a national holiday I suppose because of the government not being allowed to recognize any religion. However , the government recognizes Juneteenth as an actual holiday, although slaves in Texas after the Civil War being told they weren't slaves anymore seems more like something the government has to be embarrassed about rather than proud of and giving everybody in government offices the day off.

Meanwhile, if you are a Vietnam Veteran and puffing your chest out with pride, consider this. Here is the schedule for the rest of the month:

March 31: Cesar Chavez Day[9]
March 31: Transgender Day of Visibility[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... oclamation
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Today is Vietnam War Veterans day

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:20 am

Transgender Day of Visibility :evil: :evil: :evil:
Do me a favour FFS!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:01 am

The ABC nightly TV news has been talking about that awful grade school attack that killed innocent people including three eight or nine year olds, for a couple of nights. There is one thing they don't mention. That shooter was a woman who thought she was a man trapped in a woman's body. She was also undergoing psychiatric help for whatever else contributed to making her crazy enough to want to murder innocent children. I guess if the news said the shooter was a trans woman that would have caused a lot of push back for being insensitive to wokeness so they edit themselves for sake of perceived social correctness.

One more thing ...about that shooting... Biden put his two cents in on banning any weapon that kills people that can be labeled an "assault gun". However, what if instead they made a few laws about the clinically defined mentally disturbed having or being able to buy guns? Of course there would have to be some mandatory reporting by health officials and the BATF would have to go see that any owned weapons were secured by someone other than the afflicted persons. Of course this course would require some effort beyond subtracting gun rights in a wholesale way from all Americans.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:18 am

If you make rules then you must apply them...........
All the mass shootings carried out in the UK since 19 August 1987 in Hungerford by people who (technically) were legal gun owners should not have been in possession of firearms because of previous mental / legal situations which should have meant that the Police withdrew their licences and confiscated their guns....... Because they did not the crimes were committed.

Of course, the same thing cannot be said for criminals who will obtain guns easily and pay no attention to the law.

Every time something like this happens the politicians jumpup and start shouting about further restrictions on legally held guns - what they SHOULD be doing is demanding that the current rules are enforced and that criminals are pursued far more tenaciously.......................
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:47 am

Well said Duncan. I agree.

I was talking to an old Vietnam buddy who lives in California last night in a group chat. This subject came up and he said that in California anyone with potential violence problems and under a doctors care has to be reported to authorities by the medical system that is aware of the person's problems and some actions taken. I'd think that is a state rule and not a national rule. Of course those most anti gun aren't going to propose it and those on the other side who are afraid of the 2nd Amendment fanatics who they suppose may have elected them won't propose it either.