DIARY OF THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: DIARY OF THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:05 am

Here is the story of the British Unknown Warrior.

https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/unknown-w ... ery-solved

Buried in Westminster Abby on 11th November 1920.
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:44 am

In the US, unknowns from later wars of the 20th century were added at the Tomb of the Unknown. However, the one from Vietnam was dug up and identified by modern genetic analysis and removed.
Many years later, in 1984, the final unknown soldier from the Vietnam War was laid to rest; however, because of advances in genetic science and DNA technology, the body was exhumed in 1998 and tested. The body was identified as that of Air Force 1st Lieutenant Michael Joseph Blassie, who was shot down near An Loc, Vietnam in 1972. It was decided that the crypt that contained the remains of the Vietnam Unknown will remain vacant. The crypt cover has been replaced with one that has the inscription, “Honoring and Keeping Faith with America’s Missing Servicemen, 1958-1975.”
https://www.arlingtontours.com/tomb-of- ... wn-soldier
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:40 pm

Why the fuck can't they leave things alone. Stupid bastards authorising such an examination.

That's what's wrong with the world today - people sticking their noses in where they are not wanted or needed....

He was unknown until some silly little twat with nothing better to do started prodding. Whoever started this investigation needs a bloody good slapping!
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:24 pm

I'm quite sure the family (and me) disagree with you. They have closure now and could bury their loved
one with the honors he deserved. Not knowing his fate, the family could only guess what happened to him.
Now they know and they got him back.
There are many trying to identify the remains of unknown servicemen, now that they can use genetic and DNA
matches, many have been identified. And I'm sure those "silly little twats" would probably call you the same for
"sticking your nose in where it was not wanted or needed" ..... :shock:

You stated your opinion and now I have stated mine.................. Moving on.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:24 pm

I went to grade school and high school with a guy who was in the Air Force and shot down in Vietnam in 1972. His body went missing until 1977 and identified by whatever forensic means. Apparently his place of birth was in Arkansas but he had lived in Mobile from the time he was a small child. It wasn't a sure thing that his body would have been recovered when he went missing. I'm sure his family is glad that his body was identified.

https://www.honorstates.org/index.php?id=275104

I can sympathize with Duncan's opinion. however, I think the military, upon learning the name of the body they had used as a symbol of ultimate loss, should have put his name on the empty tomb as hope for those who remain missing and likely never ever to be found nor identified...nor looked for. Maybe if they put the name on the tomb the next of kin would have left the body where the government planted it.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:59 pm

Putting a name on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier...... kind of defeats the purpose..... :roll:

Here is something I didn't know about the Vietnam Unknown Soldier, they were pretty sure who it was and his
family requested he be exhumed and DNA tested.

From the Arlington National Cemetery website.....

"The Department of Defense and civilian partners continued working to identify remains recovered from Vietnam. Through these efforts, they reviewed evidence that suggested the Vietnam War Unknown was likely Air Force 1st Lt. Michael Joseph Blassie, a pilot who had been shot down in 1972. At the request of Blassie’s family, the Department of Defense exhumed the remains from the Vietnam Unknown’s crypt on May 14, 1998. Using DNA testing, scientists positively identified the remains as those of Blassie. In accordance with the wishes of his family, Blassie was reinterred at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis, Missouri. The crypt designated for the Vietnam War Unknown remains vacant. On September 17, 1999 — National POW/MIA Recognition Day — it was rededicated to honor all missing U.S. service members from the Vietnam War."

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:08 am

Attachments
connexion nov 2021 web#1.jpg
Duncan

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:24 pm

Good show Duncan. I always buy them from the local American Legion post that I belong to here in town.

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:29 am

Cheers Vern :D
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon May 15, 2023 7:22 pm

We have a WW1 memorial park in Mobile, Alabama. It was made originally in the 1920's to honor local WWI dead. Lately there was an idea to rededicate the park with an added statue. This was done today. The sculptor is a locally famous sculptor named Downing. I've taken photos at this park a time or two. There is no parking lot next to it and often you will find derelicts resting in the shade behind the Greek columns of the memorial. Not good for keeping up appearances ....but that's a city for you. It's more known locally for the Civil War dated canon at the intersection of two busy streets situated at a sharp pointed island of park land. The main football stadium is a couple blocks away. That canon gets painted school colors each year after the two oldest major high schools play.

Check out this youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5IEwRFiK48&t=1s