Durham Light Infantry

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

joseyclosey

Durham Light Infantry

Post by joseyclosey » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:32 pm

A couple of weeks ago was the 50th anniversary of the disbandment of my county regiment, the Durham Light Infantry. Although not in the DLI myself quite a few of my uncles and a cousin were. A service and parade was held in Durham market place and also later in our fantastic Durham Cathedral.
I took a few pics of the market place event which included a veterans parade, display of standards and last post after the service. It was also nice to see General de la Billiere, also ex DLI, in attendance and still a sprightly gentlemen even though getting on in years now.
Joe
Attachments
DLI parade 005.JPG
DLI parade 007.JPG
DLI parade 004.JPG
DLI parade 002.JPG
DLI parade 003.JPG
DLI parade 008.JPG
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Durham Light Infantry

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Good post, Joe. Interesting Regiment. I see from a Google search they even have their own song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cbuWNIqL_E
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:03 pm

The past serving members of a Regiment are the link to it's heritage and must be honored in the future.
Luckily there are many authors these days who are interested in recording the histories of these gallant Regiments. :GBR: :GBR: :GBR:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:03 am

We did have a DLI museum in the city but Durham County Council, in there wisdom, saw fit to close it and put it's contents into storage. The museum site, and next door, the old DCC HQ are due for demolition and redevelopment. A lot of deceased veterens ashes have been scattred in the museums lovely grounds and this is causing some consternation as can be imagined!
A campaign is being waged by various interested parties to have the museum reinstated in the city but DCC seem to be obfuscating on the matter. Shame really as a lot of people have donated loved ones medals etc to just sit in a Spennymoor storage facility with very limited viewing arrangements.
Not much appreciation from the council on our regiments rich history in these days of austerity unfortunately...
Joe