Veteran's Day

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner
Site Admin

Re: Veteran's Day

Post by Niner » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:44 pm

I was the chairman and chief organizer for a battalion reunion of the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry 9th Division in 2015. This was a Vietnam infantry battalion that had been in many battles during a few years in Vietnam and had earned many honors as a unit besides individual awards. The flag we had there was a copy of the battalion flag that was made for the last battalion commander in Vietnam at his expense....probably in Vietnam. It wasn't full size and there was no sleeve for a flag staff but well received and each company had their photo taken with it and a photo copy of it was given to each man, the last living battalion commander made his address while the flag draped over the front of the rostrum. A recording star, Billy Dean, sang a moving song in front of it at. The children of the now deceased commander had loaned to us for the reunion and it was the first time it had been at any reunion.

The actual battalion flag is missing. It should have, and maybe did, go back to the Army when the battalion was dissolved upon returning from Vietnam as an organization in September of 1970. I tried to track it down at where it should have been in a Army repository for retired flags. I even got my US House representative to try and locate it. He couldn't. The Army has no idea what happened to it.
Attachments
DSC04463.jpg
DSC04564.jpg
DSC04529.jpg
DSC04556.jpg
DSC04511.jpg