French resistance in WWII

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

French resistance in WWII

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:41 pm

Yes, I can already hear a few sniggers and intakes of breath BUT, I am currently reading a book which I highly recommend to everyone. It will open a few eyes and confirm a few statements I have made in the past..................

It is titled 'A Woman Of No Importance' by Sonia Purnell - ISBN 978-0-349-0107-5 published by Virago Press.

It tells the story of an American woman, Virginia Hall, who worked for SOE (F section) in France and after the war for the CIA. Through all of this it must be noted that she had a prosthetic leg which she refereed to as 'Cuthbert', the result of a shooting accident in Turkey in January 1934 ( Baltimore Sun Robert!!)

The courage shown by her and some French men & women is remarkable, as is the despicable depths that other French men and Germans stooped to in their efforts to suppress the activities of the Resistance.

It is one of those books that is hard to put down.
:GBR: :FRA: :USA:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Re: French resistance in WWII

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:09 pm

No sniggers from me about the French resistance, I have read that they were some real
tough fighters. Caused the Germans a lot of grief and saved many downed Allied airman.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Duncan,

I've read a lot on the French Resistance and, all in all, a brave bunch of men and women.

For a good read on the subject, I recommend "The White Mouse", by Nancy Wake.
https://www.booktopia.com.au/the-white- ... pwQAvD_BwE
(there's an excerpt on the site)
I met Nancy twice when she was an old lady, she was a very, very distant relative, and most interesting to talk to; she considered the M1 Carbine as God's gift to women!!
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:40 am

I once met Pearl Witherington who was a friend of my mothers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Witherington

Another gutsy and brave woman. My mother met her in Lisbon when she worked at the British Embassy during the war in charge of ther Diplomatic Bags.

Even in her final years Pearl was a very amusing person. She was also involved in the building of the Valençay SOE Memorial https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valen%C3% ... E_Memorial. :FRA: :GBR:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.