Just a few memories

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Aughnanure

Just a few memories

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:21 am

It was a bitter winter day in Korea and I was wireless op for Captain "Dixie" Lee, who commanded the machine guns.
There were four of us, including the driver, wedged into his jeep (wedged, because we were all in full winter gear) as we slowly crawled up a very steep hill we passed a digger loaded down with rifle and all the usual gear plus two 3" mortar bombs in canisters on his back.
"How's it goin' Dig?" says "Dixie".
The digger growled, "Get F******"!!"
"Dixie" was about to explode with offended Officer indignation when he suddenly thought, felt his pips which were covered by his parka, and mumbled, "Lucky for him they're covered up".

His driver said, "You asked for that, Sir"

"Dixie", "'S'pose I did".

I endeared myself to "Dixie" because I asked him if I could have some instruction on the Vickers guns just in case I was in the position where the gunners got knocked out and I had to fire the gun.
He readily agreed and used to ask for me to be his wireless op; we were usually sent to operate the Battalion net sets as required, MGs was a good one as they always had transport.

This lasted till I became Battalion Indoor Linesman, and that cushy job ended when I was assigned as Company Sig to 'D' Coy, a job that entailed being the wireless op to battalion, maintaining the coy's internal telephone lines, looking after the electrics (fortunately only 110 volt !!) and instructing the company in the use of the platoon wireless sets.

Those were good days. :bigsmile:
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Just a few memories

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:29 pm

Thank's Eion....... Korea doesn't get the coverage it deserves, bit like the Crimea :cool: :cool:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:27 pm

"Crimea".... isn't that what the British call a movie theatre?? ...... :mrgreen:

(Relax Duncan, it's only a joke.)

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:45 pm

DuncaninFrance wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:29 pm Thank's Eion....... Korea doesn't get the coverage it deserves, bit like the Crimea :cool: :cool:
and almost as old in the receding public awareness ;)

The NSW Government just announced a Pension Card addition that allows up to $250 in travel expenses for country pensioners, imagine the outcry when it transpired that Veterans and War Widows, on almost the same pension rate were not included.

Fastest Government back down in history. :bigsmile:
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:27 pm

There is a Korean War memorial at Battleship Park in Mobile. It's to US military services by the monuments....but the flags of participating nations are also waving.
Attachments
DSC07948.jpg