Viet Nam Veterans Day today.

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Viet Nam Veterans Day today.

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:42 pm

Today is the US National Viet Nam Veterans Day. And March 29 was chosen because it was
the day in 1973 that the last combat troops left the country (so they say).
Of course there will be a wild celebration with festivities and parades..... :lol:
Yes well, that ain't gonna happen, even without the virus.
So Happy VN Veterans Day to all of you that served over there, I'm glad you are still with us.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Viet Nam Veterans Day today.

Post by Niner » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 pm

Somehow "Happy" Vietnam Veterans day doesn't have the same ring as "Happy" New Year. "Happy" Thanksgiving. "Happy" Easter. "Happy" Birthday. Remember all those years, Vern, when probably most, if not all, of the people we worked with, or had any day to day contact with, ever knew we were in that war at all. We weren't likely to mention it and everybody was glad we kept it to ourselves as they sure didn't want to hear about it. I wish whatever politician who thought up the idea of a Vietnam Veteran's day had instead sat down until the feeling had passed.

I am happy that you and I, and a dwindling number of other Vietnam veterans, are still here with or without the special government appointed day. I got a feeling we have already outlived all the politicians, and certainly all the Presidents, that sent us to that war. That's worth a bit of celebration......come to think of it.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Viet Nam Veterans Day today.

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:02 pm

I guess I didn't think through using the word Happy, my bad....... :roll:
I just meant that you should enjoy the day because we are still alive. And yes, I do remember
all those years that we didn't talk about it, makes me sad thinking back.

"On March 29, 2012, President Barack Obama proclaimed March 29, 2012, as Vietnam Veterans Day. The proclamation called "upon all Americans to observe this day with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities that commemorate the 50 year anniversary of the Vietnam War".

On December 26, 2016, the Vietnam Veterans Day Coalition of States Council presented a letter to President Elect Donald Trump and Congressional leadership outlining the history and timeline of cause to establish March 29 as Vietnam War Veterans Day and requesting that it be one of the first legislations passed and signed into law during the 115 Congress.

On March 28, 2017, President Trump signed the Vietnam War Veterans Recognition Act of 2017. This act officially recognizes March 29 as National Vietnam War Veterans Day. The Act also includes the day among those days on which the US flag should especially be displayed."

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.