Big Field Artillery

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

Aughnanure

Big Field Artillery

Post by Aughnanure » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:42 am

I may have posted this before, if so, sorry.

During infantry training, we were taken to a general display of military equipment including artillery,
we were being given a demo (non-firing) of the 9-inch field guns and the somewhat loudmouthed Bombardier giving the spiel said:
"We fire these with our ordinary shoulder lanyard (demonstrates the action) but the Yanks use a 6 foot lanyard,' an do you know why?"

Voice from the ranks: "Because they're not stupid".

Twas time to move on :bigsmile:
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Big Field Artillery

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:54 pm

Good laugh there, Eoin.

I posted your story on a couple of artillery facebook sites I follow. I was officially attached to the 2nd of the 4th in the 9th Division and later the 2nd of the 320th of the 101st, although I spent all my time with the infantry when I was in Vietnam. Both are getting a kick out of it.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:54 pm

That 9 inch (228.6mm) howitzer is bigger than anything we had, our biggest was the 8 inch (203mm) self-propelled.
Next was the 175mm (6.8 inch) self-propelled, neither in a towed version. Never figured out why one was in
inches and the other in mm. I went to Nam as crew chief (after Shake-n-Bake school) on a 105mm (4 inch)
howitzer and after a couple of months, like Niner, went out with infantry on FO team for rest of time.
C Btry, 1/11th Arty and then D Co, 6/31st Inf. Niner was in C Co.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:21 pm

Vern I was in D Battery 2/4th. It was the main support for the 6/31st infantry after the 1/11th. I was in A Co. 6th of the 31st infantry from D battery 2/4th artillery and then HHC 3rd of the 506 infantry from 2nd of the 320th Artillery...some battery... I was never there.. maybe D again. Kinda hard to keep the batteries and companies and letters sorted out some times. It was also hard collecting your pay sometimes.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:48 pm

Well, at least I got the country right..... :shock: :lol:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.